HybridZ

280zx project dead end

Natulv

Well I got the engine running well, replaced a bunch of parts (see my garage). I verified the tranny as having good syncros and no bad gears. Now as I look I notice the melted wiring headed on the harness to the back of the car, and when lifting up the carpet to see where it goes I notice the rust and a few holes straight through. There is apparently more rust than I thought, some parts of the underbody crunch and flake when pushed. So I need an opinion, do I try to salvage, or part out and hope I can get enough money for a cheap car to drive till I can find another s130 someday?

I have been driving it, just not sure ill ever have the money to restore it the way it needs to be done. Also my recent discovery showed me a nice crack in the center frame rail, so I am kinda weary of driving it :P

A crack?! Rust is one thing, but a crack is totally different. That's a BAD sign.

How bad of a sign? I have only ever worked on engines and interiors (still kinda new to body and frame work). I had a friend of mine say something about just welding some steel sheet over it but I wasnt sure if that would be viable. Its a fairly sizeable crack

Apparently I either didnt photograph it or it was a figment of my imagination. I cant seem to find it again. So I guess my first order of business is to find a wiring harness I guess. Rather confused as to how the crack is unfindable now :P

So far the options are.Zedd findings if you have to replace both pans and both rails.Find a shell with what you need and cut what sections you need out or move your mechanicals to the doner.Last but not least fabricate what you need.Gonna be next to impossible for now to get direct replacement rails due to all of the contours the ZX pans have.For the most part the Zedd findings pans are flat as far as the attachment points for the rails.But they do look like well built pieces and are thicker than stock.Based on your pictures the drivers side looks to just need a panel made for the footwell and installed.The passenger side looks to have classic jack crush.It also looks like it is split in the side.This rail see's the most damage also due to being under the battery tray.They are prone to rust out.This is my biggest problem with my car.I am missing 20 inches of rail and have a tennis ball sized hole in the firewall area and a softball sized hole under the battery box so far.I have not been able to do a good cleaning and check as to the severity of the damage.I am going to fabricate what I need for the floors and firewall and probably have a frame rail made and custom fit.

Edited by Ernest Harmon

Awesome. Thanks much for the reply! :) I have a friend of mine taking the car into his shop so I can get under it (the suspension is worn a bit so it sits 2 inches lower than stock right now). I will post more pics and update :)