HybridZ

Anybody ever do sides pipes on your zx?

datsun280zx

Well i have headers and a high flow cat. And now my cars exhaust pipe is rotting away. i was thinking of having the exhaust pipe come out under the driverside area. The only thing is i dont know where i would put the piping because my car is pretty low. Anybody have pics of your set up or any suggestions?

cut a box under t he seat, put your second muffler there...pipe turns doown or goes straight out near the rocker panel. It's been done. The box solves the low problem and muffler issue. wrap muffler with heat blanket and p ut a proper heat shield.

Very populr in japan with the driver on the other side...

Cool on older classic american muscle.

Not cool on everything else.

Yeah, those Electramotive racers of the 80's were definitely at the top of the list of 'uncoolest ZX's ever made'...

:huh:

adamowicz83.jpg

Edited by Tony D

My 76 was, and it was only 350 turbocharged horsepower, so I ran sans muffler as I didn't think the noise was objectionably while cruising. The CHP thought otherwise, hence the 'box under the seat' revelation after seeing that solution on cars much lower than mine.

On a 2+2 it becomes easier as you have more room too tuck a glasspack muffler in the tunnel near the tranny, so only the pipe needs to exit, if you put one of those flowmaster shorties on there after a glasspack it's not loud at all.

And now that I know the CHP is SUPPOSED to test me from BEHIND the vehicle and that my fixit ticket was total B.S....

I don't know whose idea it was to run an 800F pipe next to 16 gallons of gas (20+ in the case of the S130), but I didn't think it was the bestus idea in the world.

And with the muffler gone out back, it opens up QUITE a bit of room for a Surge Tank, dual fuel pumps, and all that other stuff that is a PITA to find a place for in an S30 (or an S130 for that matter!)

Sooooo what was that you were saying about street driven again? My 76 made the expansion joints on US23 without an issue. Took I696 and I275 through Novi and off 12 mile without a hitch. My bro thought FOR SURE I would 'loose your exhaust when you come to Michigan in that low thing'...it worked fine, and did so all across the USA and back, too! now, admittedly I didn't take it fishing like he does with his Altima, but I had as much clearance on a lowered 280 with that muffler side-exit than he did on his Altima. And I with that setup you NEVER have to worry about backing into a snowbank in February and filling my muffler with water to freeze solid when I visit MA and PA in Kingsford...

ok so i figured out how to route it but now i need to find a muffler. Anybody suggest a small muffler that flows pretty good?

Is this somehow unclear:

"if you put one of those flowmaster shorties on there after a glasspack..."

41hgytgHEcL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Tony D