HybridZ

I want to be a CNC....

garyneedsz

Hey guys, I'm currently going to Cal State University of Fullerton, majoring in business. I hate it. I have no idea why I'm doing this, besides the fact that business majors get nice big paychecks. I recently thought about switching majors, and decided that I wanted to operate CNC machines, or weld. It seems like it would be fun, and I heard they make pretty good money.

I wanted to see if there are any CNC operators or professional welders on this website that can show me the path. If I choose this career path, what should I major in? Should I major in Mechanical engineering or something?

I can't say much as I have never done it but my Dad was a Machinist when I was younger and he quit after a few years, He loved the money it made but he always told me He hated being mentally tired everyday coming home from work and that he would much rather be physically tired then mentally tired. I don't know if that applies or not, and everyone is different about that but that is just one point of view. Anyways I think you should be able to search google about it, yeah its nice to get some advice from some guys who have done it but I'm sure some will say search. :P You may also want to talk to some people at your college in the program and maybe the teacher(s) as well.

Edited by 19752802+2

You have to work for the right people and be in the right union to make good money as a welder. I know a few people who do make a good wage but aren't guaranteed work for very long at a time, basically living from contract to contract. And at least in the fire dept the layout guy, who just measures pipe lengths and draws lines to cut etc., makes way more than the guy who actually puts it all together.

CNC could be useful for someone with an automotive niche, I don't think the schooling is very intensive. I know one person that got it a while back, hasn't found a job though...

Mechanical engineering wouldn't land you with a CNC job. Its a lot more theoretical and less hands on (for the most part) than you would think. I was a ME major for a year and a half before I realized it wasn't for me. I want something more hands on. Like others have said, I wouldn't pursue welding as a career unless you have the connections to land a stable, well paying job in the field. If you'd like to pursue CNC operation, you might want to try looking into trade school?

Hopefully that helps. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'll probably change my major again next semester, since I'm having a hard time finding something that's a good fit for me. Its a lot tougher than you'd think it'd be.

No use going to a 4 year school for either welding or CNC operating...

I'm kinda like you. I did Computer and Electrical Engineering but thought it was a drag. I dropped out and went to the CC to get my welding and fabrication degree.

I do plan on finishing my bachelors, but probably at another college.

Welding is a matter of certification. If you are in a place with heavy construction or industry it used to be a simple matter of getting certified in the various weld positions and you would go to work laying bead.

CNC operators? Maybe programmer, the setup guys even in So Cal at most small job shops aren't paid a whole lot, unless you are really at a niche shop with high workflow and cash flows. Operators and Setup guys may make $8-9 an hour! Programmers, if they can do the setup will command 2X that.

Most of what you say you want to do is possible with Community College or Technical School classes. Fabtech in Riverside has classes in cage fabrication (basically a class that lets you build your racecar while you learn...) There are a lot of places like that in SoCal, and they have placement if you're showing promise.

If you have a knack for that kind of stuff, you may find it works out well. If you're close, an AA in Business will get you a lot of places when combined with solid hands-on skills.

• 2 weeks later...

From experience I can tell you that 90-95% of CNC operator jobs are just that, operators. All they do is hit the green button to run the machine, check parts (calipers, height gages, GO/NOGO gages) and do tool offsets. They do that all day running maybe 3-5 different types of parts all day, its very repetitive. Small job shops you can be the programmer and operator, but the pay still isn't the greatest unless, like Tony D stated, the shop has a niche with a high work and cash flow.

I graduated recently with a Mechanical Engineering Degree and it is more theoretical while in school. But what you do with it decides how much hands on work you do. Student programs like SAE and ASME allow you to design and build many different projects. During summer breaks I worked at small job shops doing manual machining and CNC programming and operating. Now I work in the manufacturing world and get to design and troubleshoot fixtures in our manufacturing processes so I can and do get my hands dirty.

CC is a good place to start. That is where I took all of my classes (PIMA CC) to learn manual and CNC machining and welding. If you like the manual machining then a trade school is where you would want to start you apprenticeship to start a career. Almost all machinists do the apprenticeship for manual machining then learn CNC as they go. If you want to be a CNC programmer also take manual machining classes. Programming is pretty easy but you still need to know the best practices for machining materials to be a good CNC programmer. A CNC programming position can be a $15-30 position depending on the company. You should also take CAD and CAM classes if possible. A lot of CNC programming is done with the aid of a CAM program, and will be needed more and more in the future. Machine with multiple axises (4 and up) are becoming cheaper and its to the point where a person can not program a machine (5 and up) without a CAM program.

Could you imagine trying to program that by hand?

I would check out some classes at a CC and find out if you like it.

Edited by Rival5

I was a union pipe welder for years and after a back injury went to school and am now an Mech Eng. Welding can be good but you can expect to travel away from home to find work. And the construction industry now is in the ditch. There are few old welders around, first your eyes give out then the body! Engineering has made me more money than I did in the pipe trades. Evan the construction industry is becoming more automatic welding processes. For me it is fun designing the projects and constructing them.

"Engineering has made me more money than I did in the pipe trades."

YOU, sir are highly compensated! :D

My friend recently came out to the west coast with his son. Terrible thing to say but the kid inherited his mothers oraungatan-look and brains to match. I showed my son an East-Coast Union Pipefitter making $100,000+ a year and said "If that's what you want to work WITH every day, then don't go to school! You CAN make a lot of money...but consider the environment!"

He went, in earnest, to the local community college and REALLY started pressuring the counselors for the classes he was missing the first semester! :D