HybridZ

$2k s30 Fairlady Ebay

EvilC

I love talking to people who own cars like this.......they try to sell this dream of how rare this car is and you won't find another one like it for the parts. I told this guy, I have owned every rare part on this car and sold it for USDM items :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-FAIRLADY-Z-240Z-RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE-JAPAN-VERSION-/360320455399?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53e4c5d2e7

Late 71 Production Vehicle. Too bad about the condition, and the cancer. Nice Euro Balance Tube (and 38mm SU Carbs).

And it is rare. Total Fairlady Z production from 69-77 was just over 78,000 cars less than the total production of one year of US Market 260Z. Being that this is one of the last 240 chassis made, I think it does constitute 'rare'...

Edited by Tony D

Well of course it is rare :wink: but not $2k rare. Owner said he is a car dealer and bought it from a body shop that was going out of bizz. Sounds like he got it for free. Good eye Tony on the parts in the engine bay. He is about 3 hrs from me.....I was thinking someone could pick it up for about $500-$700 if euro tail lights were in good shape.

Tony, does that number included the 2+2s?

Total Production.

Of course, the carburetted 73 Production 2/2's would likely be some of the lowest volume cars left alive.

And with S30-0002 still extant...anything anybody else has is trumped by that car as a chassis alone! :blink:

Nothing wrong with a high reserve, see where the bidding goes and then discuss with the highest bidders.

It's parts only though. Although I do have a 'supplemental chassis' that would likely take all those pieces nicely... ;)

But I already own HLS30-06330 and S30-06225 so I got my 'Twins'---I would have to go find another 73 to twin this one up with, since my Shark Car HLS30-156466 just isn't close enough to be 'twinned' to a vehicle with a VIN of S30-100818!

I got this thing about twins. Nasty little pair of twins... :D

I love talking to people who own cars like this.......they try to sell this dream of how rare this car is and you won't find another one like it for the parts. I told this guy, I have owned every rare part on this car and sold it for USDM items :wink:

Wow. Can I have your autograph?

For the record, I don't see anything too wide of the mark in the auction description. Seems fairly honest and accurate, actually.

You should save some of your ire for people like the dimwit who's talking to the seller about the "expanded mesh" grille that he's "never seen OEM", , and the mind-boggling wonder that is the mythical "reverse pattern trans".

So, if I go sit in the passenger seat of my RHD car, will I suddenly have a rare "reverse pattern trans" too.....?

I would pay $3k for it :blink:

You're coming up with a lot of 'prices', aren't you?

I presume you talked to the vendor, and that's where you got the "$2k" figure from? Did the vendor know you were going to post that figure on the 'net? Nice.....

Tony,

It's a 1972 production car. 'S30-008329' was the last 'S30'-prefixed body serial number produced in 1971. They got up to 'S30-011109' in 1972 before the big jump up to 'S30-100001' and on.

This particular car is less than 800 'S30'-prefixed bodies from the end of 1972 year manufacture.

Alan T.

Well lookie who's graced our forum once again with it's wholly-ier than thou jabs.... what a septic!

I found the first post to be more than a little unfair to the ebay vendor. I think he's being very honest with his description, and doesn't really deserve to have any privately-discussed target / reserve 'outed' here. The car's clearly worth some money - if in parts alone - and certainly more than an equivalent-condition HLS30U.

Want to make any on-topic observations about the subject?

When I called the seller, he said I will tell you right out that I won't sell the car for less than $2k. My $3k comment was a joke1

And I see no problem disclosing someones reserve. As a seller most times, I hate 2 out of 3 calls of someone just trying to figure out if they are in the ballpark to make a low offer. Time is money.

Back to this car, it is worth what anyone is willing to pay or who needs the car bad enough. Yes it is worth a little more than a rusty USDm car but $2k....come on. If all of the lenses are cracked, orginal motor is gone, dash is cracked, clock is rusty but prob can be repaired....how many parts really equal to $2k.

NOS rare part price > used rare part price > broken rare part price {doesn't} = Ultra rare rusty prices :P

If the Oscillator for the clock works, it would cover your "$500~$700" estimate on it's own.

The car's worth something as an identity / parts donor in some markets. Sniff at that all you like, but the market will find its own level.

Tony,

It's a 1972 production car. 'S30-008329' was the last 'S30'-prefixed body serial number produced in 1971. They got up to 'S30-011109' in 1972 before the big jump up to 'S30-100001' and on.

This particular car is less than 800 'S30'-prefixed bodies from the end of 1972 year manufacture.

Alan T.

Curously Alan, that is what I was meaning to say, 'not quite a 73' somehow 71 was down there instead of 72. I know I've seen 108,XXX out there (as well as my mystery chassis S30110661...)

I would agree on the pricing. No harm in asking, and my comment on reserve is what I figure is common knowledge out there for most 'high reserve' cars: find out who's serious, and discuss with them a price. E Bay is not necessarily about selling to the highest bidder when sniping is involved as much as it is these days. It is, however a nice pricing barometer, and DOES get you in contact with buyers who are more than the usual ilk of tire kickers and lowballers.

I have generally told people that the RHD FairladyZ's tend to go for roughly $1,000 more than comparable-condition HLS30's. Given that this car would sell in this condition for $5-700, I could see $1700 for an RHD as reasonable. I would consider $5-700 for this car a STEAL for some of the parts I see on it. Matter of fact I am in the cubicle next to someone who is from that area...and we are conspiring...but it probably won't happen. I have too much as it is, and only really want the parts... Don't have a use for the chassis, really. I've seen worse resurrected, though!

I have generally told people that the RHD FairladyZ's tend to go for roughly $1,000 more than comparable-condition HLS30's.

That might well be true for the USA and/or Canada, but in RHD markets the gap is of course much wider. If this particular car was in the UK, I'd be all over it like a bad suit. If it was running / driving I might even be tempted to import it myself, despite the condition. Quite a few LHD 240Zs are being imported to the UK these days, but we are running out of RHD organ / identity donors pretty quickly. Prices are going up as availability goes down.

Are there really people who believe that RHD cars have a "reverse shift pattern" trans? Please tell me it's satire.

And Joel, "Septic" is usually accepted as being the abbreviated rhyming slang for "Yank" ( 'Septic Tank' ). I might be many things, but I don't think I qualify as a 'Yank', do I?

Unless you meant something else, of course. :D

Def Tony, I can see the car going for $1500 for to the right person who needs the parts. Maybe $2k for someone who is a dreamer and wants to build a "Devil Z". Like it is known any car can be saved with time and money. We will have to watch and see.....Tony...buy it!

That might well be true for the USA and/or Canada, but in RHD markets the gap is of course much wider. If this particular car was in the UK, I'd be all over it like a bad suit. If it was running / driving I might even be tempted to import it myself, despite the condition. Quite a few LHD 240Zs are being imported to the UK these days, but we are running out of RHD organ / identity donors pretty quickly. Prices are going up as availability goes down.

Are there really people who believe that RHD cars have a "reverse shift pattern" trans? Please tell me it's satire.

And Joel, "Septic" is usually accepted as being the abbreviated rhyming slang for "Yank" ( 'Septic Tank' ). I might be many things, but I don't think I qualify as a 'Yank', do I?

Unless you meant something else, of course. :D

Alan, You should look into buying it and shipping it back for the plates and the parts. My friend here at work says that many VWs Bugs and Buses are being taken from the States and sent to GB. I don't know this for a fact only from this person. I would image if that is true the same could be true for Fairlady's. Always nice to see you on the board, I always believe in being pleasant to people and respect your knowledge and input.

Shipping RORO is not possible with that car as it doesn't run. Containerized shipping would add appreciably to the cost.

Now, if it was in SoCal, we could stick it in the next shipment to Rotterdam next April and Alan could take the caravan through The Chunnel and go retreive his booty there with a split containerized shipping cost...

But it's not, so no use engaging in idle fantasy.

And of course I meant USA/Canada...Alan, why would I state it thusly? :lol:

I'm not sure what 'reverse shift pattern' even means. Unless it's an oddball with 1/R in the same gate like the S11 Sylvias, having 2/3/4/5 in the "H" of the pattern. I have one of those in the LSR car, and it is possible that one is in that chassis.

If that is the case, the tranny alone justifies the cost, and if the clock oscillator was functioning....DEAL ON WHEELS!

Sometimes you just have to know how to speak redneck.

I can't tell you what kind of deals I've gotten off ebay and craigslist looking for 'carbarator' 'dotsun' or other wonderful 'isims' :D

Or the best deal of them all, from a parking garage in West L.A.: "1975 Dotsun Z, long nose, solid mag weels, don't run, rhd, $1000 o.b.o." Vehicle was left by Japanese rotating back to Tokyo, had a friend 'dispose' of it. G-Nosed, Pantera Hatch, SSR Wheels, 40 Mikuinis, Built L20A (!?!?!), all the goodies inside wonderful (albiet dust-covered) metallic blue paint and all Japanese Paperwork including about to expire California Registration. Deal was done on the spot cash. Car was washed, taken to a SoCal show, and sold for $10,000 cash with a $300 detail job, and current tags.

Edited by Tony D