HybridZ

RB26 engine installed 240z

datsun dave

Not at all laggy. I have them on mine and they hit so hard and fast that traction is difficult maintain when you floor it. I'm not talking about dumping the clutch when shifting gears. I'm talkin' rolling along in 2nd at 30 or so and punching it and at about 50-55mph the tires break loose. Its insane!

Dave, are you doing external wastegates? I did not, because I was under the impression that these are bolt on. They do mount but the oil lines were tricky. More importantly I'm experiencing boost creep because of the lack of a divorced downpipe. The turbulence is creating too much exhaust back pressure and the boost spikes and is uncontrollable. To correct it for now we had to partially open the internal wastegates so the boost doesn't build up so quickly. This has robbed me of quite a bit of horsepower but I wanted to drive it for a while before I tear it apart again. To fix it I'm going yo do the HKS twin manifolds and external wastegates.

Hell mine will brake loose just flooring it in 3rd on the stock turbos. Granted I dont have great tires but still. I am having map problems with mine after about 5300 my map just bounces from 7-9 psi but my boost gauge is steady 9psi. I ran a completely seperate shielded wire for the map and that didnt help and neither did a new 3.5 map. I am stumped. AEM thinks i should move it to a different location but i have an aftermarket manifold with all the taps on the rear. i dont know. grrr.

Edited by ZT-R

Updates Dave...

Got the oil drain spacer now and its all fitted onto the turbo just waiting now for my mate to come over and refit them.

If you are buying a set of Garrett GT2860 Turbos i had to have 15 spacers made up so have some for sale PM me if you want one.

post-2288-050617400 1318952591_thumb.jpg

post-2288-048875900 1318952609_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Dave what is the color code for your rear tail light panel. We have the same color car. I am tryin to figure out what I am going to do on the repaint of mine. I will most likely go back with the original color and a few tricks. Thanks for putting the pics out there for us to see. Great job on the car.

Dave what is the color code for your rear tail light panel. We have the same color car. I am tryin to figure out what I am going to do on the repaint of mine. I will most likely go back with the original color and a few tricks. Thanks for putting the pics out there for us to see. Great job on the car.

Thanks the colour is the same on the spoiler the overfenders and the rear light panel it's is a BMW dark metallic grey and it's very close to the colour on the Watanabe wheels.

Hi mate love the car ,nice work

The -5 turbos are very good but do take a bit of tuning on a 26 and can surge at part throtel around 3500rpm ,some people dont mind ,but im a bit fussy ,

-10 are not very nice for the same reasion ,at the track they are great with 25psi and 8000rpm

but not so hot for street driving . With RB30 -10s are mad and smoke the wheels all day ,for a zed on the street -7 are the best for 26 no lag fun and fast and very nice to tune

btw love the rips inlet looks tops, will be heaps easyer to tune ,good luck with your project will be a rocket

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate love the car ,nice work

The -5 turbos are very good but do take a bit of tuning on a 26 and can surge at part throtel around 3500rpm ,some people dont mind ,but im a bit fussy ,

-10 are not very nice for the same reasion ,at the track they are great with 25psi and 8000rpm

but not so hot for street driving . With RB30 -10s are mad and smoke the wheels all day ,for a zed on the street -7 are the best for 26 no lag fun and fast and very nice to tune

btw love the rips inlet looks tops, will be heaps easyer to tune ,good luck with your project will be a rocket

Thanks for the reply a few more bits now sorted on the car will post up some more pictures soon.

Small note about the oil drain i dont know what engine mount you are using but I have a Mc Kinney kit for my 280Z and the oil drain on the front turbo didnt fit it was hitting the mount i had to cut turn and reweld it. BTW i have -7 on my RB26

Edited by Wedge

• 2 weeks later...

Hell mine will brake loose just flooring it in 3rd on the stock turbos. Granted I dont have great tires but still.

Dont quite understand how this is possible. With stock turbos, 10 psi, and stock 14" tires with an open diff i could barely break loose 2nd. I was trapping 118mph in the 1/4 then so the power was there.

• 1 month later...

Hello again been away working in London so had very little time apart from my Family BUT have made a big push to try and get the car ready for a massive Jap car show here next weekend and it just might be finished.

Over the years I have bought 100s of bits from eBay and never had any problems apart from the last 2 parts I bought for the Z turned out to be fakes so ended up spending a lot more for the real deal from Japan and should have them land in the UK early doors next week.

I will post up some pictures soon.