HybridZ

Getting The ZG Flairs, install info needed!

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

ok, i kow they are bolted/riveted on, but what i want to know is if i should "roll the fenders" what does this do for the fenders? does it give you a better end product? if so, how do i do it? i got a ton of questions i could throw out there but im sure someone will fill in the blanks for me, thanks for any help...

-Zach

Guest Z-rific

Usually, people roll the fenders to get more room and to avoid installing flares. To take full advantage of the flares, you will probably need to cut your fenders. (Read this message all the way through).

Find a buddy with a Sawzall or similar reciprocating saw. Place the flares where you want them and trace where the new flare hits the fender. Cut a new wheel well giving yourself at least an inch below your traced line. Then bolt or rivet the flare on (I would use an adhesive as well).

You can then fiberglass the flare/fender transition to get a smooth appearance. You will also want to clean up the flare/fender transition underneath also. Don't want a rust problem later.

But BEFORE doing anything, check with the experts here before cutting your fenders, as I have never used those particular flares.

Also, I've been told when it comes time for a quality paint job, to use paint with a flexing agent, which will help avoid cracking in the fiberglass. (Hell, I'm not even sure these are glass flares!)

I'm using the ZG flares with 17 x 9 wheels. I had about 1.5 inches between the tire and fender, but the other day when I drove it, rear suspension squat cut a small gash into my brand new tires!

I'm going to roll the lips but it probably won't be enough...don't want to cut either...I heard someone saying that if you cut the fenders, the inside and outside metal sheets need to be welded together.

Owen

Guest Zachb55

so can i just roll them since im not going with any larger wheels, my tires just kinda bulge out as it is and im not getting new rims and tires for a while so for now would it be ok to just roll it to minimize welding and such? when you roll them ive heard of people just taking baseball bats or pipes then just wedging them in there and rolling the fender up, is that how its done or what?

For a little clearance, I've seen people snip the edge of the lip in many places and fold them up and sometimes tack them down.

John, where do the two pieces of sheet metal meet? Right at the wheel arch? I really don't want to go through all this undercoat removal, etc.

Thanks,

Owen

The two pieces meet slightly above the wheel arch but are welded/rolled together at the turned in lip. What happens when you really englarge the wheel well is a gap is created between the two sheets and you can't bend them together. You have to cut and weld in another strip sheet to span that gap and restore some of the strength.

Guest Anonymous

I too will be flaring my fenders shortly. It seems that maybe one could retain the majority of the innner fender and bend it up(?) and then weld it together rather than add material? Just a thought. I'll let you guys know how it turns out once I start cutting.

Jon

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

question...

sorry to bring up a old thread.

ill be doing ZG flares to my blue Z soon.

now thing is i just got the car freshly painted, can you do this to the car without having to repaint the whole fender again?

also since your cutting a structular part does the car have to be loaded or unloaded?

jacked up on stands or can it be just be sitting there with tires on and etc, just on the ground like normal.

also can somebody measure there front and rear ZG flares.. like how far the stick out and etc from the body.. i hope these wheels i have will work.

and i would just measure my Green Z who has ZG's but as many know its not handy right now lol.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike. Sorry I can't answer most of your questions but as soon as I figure out which flair is which (LF,RF,RR,LR) I will take some measurements. BTW I got the MSA CF Z flairs.

They look wider than I expected. The one I measured is about 2.5 inches wide when laying on a flat surface, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to go on the front or rear....

Also, what size hardware did you use for the flairs on your green Z?