HybridZ

The infamous rear wheel bearings

The symptoms are clear, shaking above 45. the little bit of wiggle in the rear wheels, the noise in the morning.

It was bound to happen.

Now unfortunately, I moved and my tools are in storage.

Anyone have any estimates on how long it would take a shop to do these? I hate asking shops to do things that I could, but my tools are a ways a way.

thanks,

Sean

Each shop would be different, I would go talk to some local shops and explain to them what has to be done and about the dreaded stub bolt that holds everything together. It could take a shop a day or a week depending on how good they are and if they are busy or not. My 2 cents would be to ask some other car guys who take their cars to shops if you know any and ask them which shop is reliable and won't screw you over or take a year to get it done and then go talk to some local shops and get some price/time estimates. Also when you find a shop make a written agreement with them when they will finish it and for how much and have them sign it so they can't screw you over and you have something to work with if they do.

If you just want wheel bearing replaced it's quite easy. Couple hours at the most but if you want bushings replaced and therefore have to pull the slindle pin it could get painfull. I can't tell you how many hours it took to gouge out the spindle pins but it was a LOT.

Cameron

it's not a difficult job, but be prepared to shell out quite a bit for a shop to do the work. after performing the work myself...i have no doubt that a shop would charge no less than $500 for the job...not to mention the price of the bearings...they are gonna run atleast $150 for both sides..inner and outer, i got mine through rock auto.

Just remember, that whomever does the work make, darn well sure they know to "Cut" the penning off the nuts first before they remove the nut! If not there is a 99% chance they will ruin the threads on the stub axle. More costs to you. So if they say oh the threads are ruined, it's because they likely ruined them.

I know as I've done this myself, fortunately in the JY!

Edited by JSM

I had been driving my new Tundra too much last week, I just got back from a work trip and decided Im going to spend that extra $250 that a shop would've charged to go get a straight through exhaust built :D and I just got a call back from my ex boss (who is a mechanic for a paving company who raced open wheel cars in europe for 6 years) and has owned many Z cars and Saabs and said that he could help me do it and it should only take about 4hours or I can drop my car off, pay him $20 an hour and bring him parts and he will do it on his own. Can't beat that cost, but I think I'll go help and not have to pay at all.

P.S. These are the original bearings and have some steady play in the rear end and like to shake quite a bit to the point that the car has trouble redlining it seems like, its a work in progress. Afterall if it wasn't, it wouldn't be a Datsun.

Thanks for all the info, Hybrid never fails to bring logic to the table.