HybridZ

Vapor tank - Do I need it? HELP!!!

I am working on my tank. I cleaned it and switched to a Carter pump from a Holley blue. While I have everything off, is there any reason not to remove the vapor tank and all associated plumbing? I have a 74.5 sbc. I will of course plug everything then vent my gas cap with a very small drill. What do you think? Saves weight, gets rid of unnecessary items and gets the vapor tank out of the car.

I did away with mine. Plugged all the vent holes and made a very fine/small hole for venting purposes. Just curious as to why you did away with the holley blue fuel pump? I run one and have had no problems, just a little noisy. Mike

A LITTLE NOISY?!? I have heard trains that were a little noisy. The Holley blue sounds like a hive of bees in my car. That is the main reason. Hopefully, the Carter is quiter. My car is a daily driver. I have a 355 sbc with a 700R4 automatic, Edelbrock heads, Hooker headers, a fully louvered hood, nice stereo and air conditioning going in next week. I have had it a couple of years and drive it daily. With a smooth setup, the noise was getting to be too much.

Sounds like we have close to the same set up.

355 edlebrock rpm package, heads, air gap manifold and 750 carb. Im using their recommended cam as well. You say you are using hooker headers are they full lenghte or huggers? Im also running a 700r4 vette tranny which fried on me at the strip 3 weeks ago icon_sad.gif not sure as to why? but will find out soon as the rebuild if rebuildable will start next week.

Are you running a trans cooler and what type of cooling fan are using? Im currently upgrading brakes up front to toyota 4 runners and puuting a 3.90 r200 rear in it as well. By the way my fuel pump isnt too noisy as I used lots of rubber for sound deadener.

Mike

The headers are Hooker block huggers part number 2100. I did see in a hot rod magazine many advertisements for block huggers much cheaper. I should have gotten coated ones since mine have already started to rust. I have to hit them with a little paint now and then. I have a trans cooler. I needed it since my dual exhausts necessarily went close to the tranny. I have done the Toyota 4x4 front disc conversion. Skip the proportioning valve unless you need it. I also put the 79 ZX discs on the rear of my car. The rear discs were a little bit of a pain to get on. Actually, a lot of a pain but they are worth it. The fronts were easy.

OH, I forgot to mention. I used the JTR book's cooling recommendation and it works well. I have the 84 Camaro (small) radiator Modine part number 952 and the Flex Lite Black Magic 150 cooling fan. As far as I can tell the 150 is about the biggest fan you can get.

Best thing I did to displace heat though was louvering the hood. I have 82 louvers in my hood like the one MSA sells. I picked up a hood at the local pick and pull, stripped the paint, and took it to a hot rod shop. The hood cost $20 and the louvers cost $82. Not bad for an MSA $399 hood.

Good deal! icon_smile.gif

About the noisy pumps, we had a very informative thread about a year ago that talked about isolating the mount with rubber, and everyone's solution for it. Some guys used innertube rubber, floormat rubber, etc. to make it work. One guy even used rubber to isolate the pump from the mount, and then from the mount to the car. I agree, I hate noisy pumps too, but you got to pay your dues for having performance icon_wink.gif

Davy

I have a Holley on my Camaro and won't buy another. Makes more noise than the average chipper/shredder icon_biggrin.gif I put a 5 psi Carter on the Z. Just a bit louder than exhaust at idle, and can't hear it once you start moving. I mounted it on the vertical support for the rear control arm rather than the sheetmetal. There is a TON of room with the r180 mustache bar, but not as easy with the r200. Carter sells a noise damping kit. About $15 that consists of 3 rubber mounts with studs on either end. Just like the MSD shock mounts. I didn't ahve room because of my S.T. sway bar and the r200, but noise is not objectionable. I tolerate the Holley on the CAmaro, because with 2 1/2" Flowmasters and 3500rpm on the hwy, can't hear it anyhow.

Jim, Im running straight plug rpm heads with no plug problem. Im using sanderson shorty and I mean short shorty headers. I also used to have angle plug double humps on her and it was a tad bit tight. Just in case I use taylor heat sheilds on each plug wire.

Mike

I hope I'm not jumping in too late,

but I'm currently running (although, not much lately icon_rolleyes.gif ) the Performer RPM straight plug heads with the full length headers. Plugs are tight, but do able.

For you guys with the Carter pumps:

How much quieter was the Carter over the Holley? Also, do they make something that can handle 7 - 8 psi?

The fuse for Holley Blue pump shorted out the other day and I heard my exhaust on the inside of the car for the very first time. One "positive" thing about a loud pump is the "turn signal indicator" option. You know, the pitch of the pump changes with the turn signal at idle.

Andy, I hate my Holley Blue also - too loud!

One great thing about buying PAW's catalog is you find out about parts that Summit and Jeg's don't list. Carter has a street pump that does 5 (maybe 5-6?) psi, and a COMPETITION street pump that's 7-8. I'm thinking the lower pressure one would be enough and be quieter? I did order the Carter pump isolation mounts ($9 from PAW) and I'll try those on the Holley first.

IndianaZ and others running the Edelbrick straight plugs - pics if possible PLEASE! Zfan, which Sanderson header? What primary size? I've got 1.5 now and I think it's too small for the Edelbrocks judging from the port mismatch. Below is a pic with the FelPro gasket that came with the heads icon_sad.gif

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

I've got BAD header problems right now and can't even pull one of my plugs without pulling a header. They fit by the motor mounts perfectly though and had they bothered to weld them I'd say they were perfect for angle plug heads (sigh). I'll be trying to get a replacement for the one that's defective and then selling them.

I'm not sure I'm interested in long tubes but if they fit WELL I might be - ground clearance is a concern icon_sad.gif I'm SURE others would be interested in them though.

Oh, and I'm sorry for sort of hi-jacking this thread. icon_smile.gif I did remove my vapor tank and vent right to the atmosphere. I don't like this but I couldn't figure out how to keep it and use it in a "responsible" manner without the risk of vapor leaks inside the car. Holley Blue - yup I've got one. Massive rubber around it and on the mount. I cannot hear it much over the exhaust system - that's NOT a tribute to my isolation of it. Previously I had a Carter pump, it groaned too but probably not as badly.

Ahh man, BLKMGK, sorry you have to share in the pain I've been enduring for a few years now. THAT is EXACTLY what I have installed, rpm heads/that gasket and 1.5 roundport headers...choking my motor BIGTIME and it won't stay sealed no matter how much effort. I need to put together my diagrams/pics and send off to rewarder for the 1-3/4's......I have that exact same gasket mismatch....I built up my header port to better seal my gasket but it didn't work so well icon_confused.gif

I'm not aware of what headers others are running with RPM heads? (if you swap, do please go 1-3/4's...your motor will thank you icon_smile.gif

PS smoked a honduhhhh at <1/2 throttle today..something funny about that...and yup he was racing...

Yes, Carter has a street/strip pump that runs 7-8 psi part number P-4594 but who needs that pressure for their carb? My Holley likes low pressures and Holley doesn't recommend using anything over 6 psi. Even at 7 psi, my pump was causing my Holley to flood at idle. It was blowing gas past the float valve. Bigger isn't always better. I will let you know how much quiter the Carter is. I am mounting it today. I will also try to post picks of Edelbrock Performer RPM straight plug heads with the Hooker 2100 headers. Plenty of room with the JTR setup and I cleared the steering rod with plenty of room.

Guest Anonymous

I use a 'strip' version of the Carter pump and its loud, but I havn't heard the Holley. The Carter makes this moaning buzz thats not super noticible unless your listening for it once the car is running. I'm not sure which is louder, the Carter pump or the Taurus fan! When I turn the ignition they both go on and its a toss up which is louder. The pump supposedly puts out 10 psi no regulator required. The stock holley hasn't had a problem with it so I'm assuming the pump deadheads when it gets a little resistance in pressure, plus I'm running the stock fuel lines so that probably puts some restriction on it right off the top. I will probably put a regulator on some time because I eventually want to feed a surge tank with the Carter.

Regards,

Lone

Heh, should we revive one of the exhaust threads for this? icon_smile.gif

I'm considering the Holley 2100 headers. 2.5 inch collector, 1 5/8ths. I THOUGHT the Flowtechs had 1.5 primaries and 2.5inch collectors but I just hit their site to double check -> http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESFT/Hugger.html

Holley must have recently bought them? Seems the Hooker headers are about the same size then (sigh). I had a REAL laugh at the blurb on their site about the Flowtech's not fitting angle plug heads. Hrm, they don't fit my STRAIGHT plug heads either. I think I've got one really defective header here!

Who makes a 1 3/4 header that both fits and doesn't cost a mint? Coated please icon_smile.gif

Pics? Hrm, pics from above showing steering clearance and frame clearance on both sides. Heck, take a pile of them - I'll host if needed! Shots from below would be great too but a PITA. How about a shot from th eside showing ground clearance? Not sure pulling the motor is what I want to install a header (ahem) but...

Heh, heard my Holley a little today. With the intake leak solved it idles better but still darned loud! I'd be happy if the fuel pump was the only thing bugging me soundwise icon_smile.gif

Hrm? -> http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=SDH-CC1-3/4 http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc134.htm

Have to look at the motor to see if this clears everything. Would have to run a 3 to 2.5inch reducer too. Note the price on those suckers - uncoated icon_sad.gif

CC134_small.jpg

Update:

Did a little meauring. I think the 1 3/4 headers will fit. I'm wondering if that might be too big though. Certainly a step coming out of the port is bad! They stick out a bit but I can't quite tell if they're sticking out further than the Flowtechs. Rewarder makes some too but not much info about sizing is given nor do they mention angle or straight plugs. Can't tell if they come coated or not either but the collector is 2.5 and the price is right $310

bh1010.jpg

Sometime this weekend I WILL order some headers to solve this problem and if I have to squeal so be it. icon_sad.gif I think this will solve my miss too!

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]