HybridZ

carbon fiber inquiry

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

sup guy's, im new to this group and have a question. some back ground first..... im building a v8/t56 280z with to many mods planned to list. anyway, im going to make carbon fiber replicas of various parts of my car including the dash, hood, 1/4's, console, door panels, hatch, etc. i just wanted to know if any of you guys would be interested in purchasing copies of these parts. ill be building molds for all the various pieces and would be willing to make you guys carbon fiber or fiberglass parts at cost of materials plus a little labor. also i plan to work up an awesome stereo system in this car to match my expertise in the car audio field, and would be willing to make copies of any custom stuff i do there to. ill try and put together a web page as soon as interior/ carbon work begins to show quality of installation/ carbon work.

if you guys give me an idea of how many of you may be interested in this offer, ill try and put together prices as i build prototypes of each piece.

thanks for the bandwidth,

dominic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominic,

Welcome! :D Quite a few guys here have played with around with the idea of making carbon fiber parts but it's been hard to get a good headcount as to who wants in. I myself thought about making hoods and fenders of carbon kevlar but the mold-making process is a big turnoff. If you're willing to make these pieces that'd be great. I would definitely be interested in getting a hood and fenders so you can count me in. Which parts are body pieces are you making?

Guest Anonymous

well heres some more details.....

ive got access to carbon fiber mat at around 20-60 bucks a running yard depending on pattern, weight etc. this stuff is in 40 to 60in widths. this is the cheapest i can find it. i want to make molds for my front 1/4's, hood, hatch, front valence, dash, console, custom door panels, possibly other interior peices, and all my stereo stuff. im thinking about doing the headlight buckets and some door skins also. if enuf of you guys with other z models want specific parts and i can get a part to make a mold of ill do those peices also.

i do this kind of stuff all the time at work and thought i could make the parts cheaper than i could buy them. but if the parts dont turn out perfect, i wont use them untill i get them perfect. so it may take a little while to get the molds right before i can sell them.

the time line is looking like this. ive got my car almost completely stripped now. ive already got the dash, console, fenders, hood, interior out. all thats left is the hatch. so, i should be able to begin making the first molds in the next week or so. but im supposed to go get a t56 6speed this weekend, so my carbon fiber budget is kinda tight right now. anyway ill get pics and finalize prices as the parts develop. ill keep you guys posted.

dominic

Guest Anonymous

one other thing..... on the interior peices, are you guys looking for the lightest possible parts or just the look of carbon fiber? i could possibly make the dash, door panels, and console out of fiberglass with a show quality carbon as the outer layer. this would add a little weight, but lower the cost. let me know if this acceptable.

dominic

Welcome!

I'd love to have a carbon fiber dash, but I'm a bit concerned about how shiny it might be and cause a glare problem. I guess that could be handled a few ways. I really just want something that looks good and if weight were lower that'd be great but ultimate low weight is not a huge concern to me - I think a fiberglass/carbon hybrid dash/console would be killer rockon.gif

Any idea how much a console and dash would cost me?

BTW, I will be moving this thread to the High Tech Forum in a day or so - it fits better there.

Cheers,

Guest Anonymous

thats cool ppara.... i havent nailed down prices yet, but i figured almost 4 yards for a dash 2 for a console ($300 at 50 a yard..... maybe cheaper) plus epoxy resin (not too expensive) and some clear coat for a nice gloss (also not expensive) plus labor. i wont charge you guys much as im not tring to start a buisness, just offering a service for the betterment of all z kind, and make a few extra bucks along the way. nothing would boost my ego more than seeing a couple of my hand made pieces at the z nationals!

anyway my goal is to be cheaper on a carbon dash than a replacement pad. that way i might could steal some biz away from motorsport. thanks again for all the support, ill keep you guys up-to-date on all progress.

dominic

Guest Anonymous

oh yeah.... the 6 yards i figured for the quote above is for a solid carbon piece. if i did fiberglass/ carbon, it would be almost 1/2 as much. as i would only need 1 layer of carbon.

Guest 1fastz

<-- is in for ANYTHING that makes my car lighter IN a drag racer hehe ;)

btw I have a cowl hood wich no one seems to make any more 8( think we could see about possibly maeing something like this.. as well as a hatch and other items headlight buckets etc..

I'd like a hood, rear hatch, and possibly fenders. The door panels sound tempting too. Would be cool to get the door pannels and do a mix of carbon fiber and vynal/leather.

The body stuff would be to loose weight, while interior parts would be for looks.

Guest Anonymous

cowl hood should be no prob. prices for body stuff will come after i make the first pieces.... i gotta see how much carbon it takes. as for the door panels, they're gonna be more modern with the armrest cast in as well as speaker pods and power window switches.

dominic