HybridZ

Help Cutting intercooler outlet?

voltron_boi

Today I received my intercooler size 24x12x4. It appears that it won't fit the car with regular cuplers, so I'm thinking about doing like what 240hoke is doing. Welding 3" aluminum pipe on to each ends. But before I even start cutting, I wonder what tools does you guys used to cut the ends with? I was thinking if a dremal blade will do the job? Don't want to go head n do it then messed up n regret. So anyone that has cut their intercooler outlet, please post what tool? Thankyou.

Today I received my intercooler size 24x12x4. It appears that it won't fit the car with regular cuplers, so I'm thinking about doing like what 240hoke is doing. Welding 3" aluminum pipe on to each ends. But before I even start cutting, I wonder what tools does you guys used to cut the ends with? I was thinking if a dremal blade will do the job? Don't want to go head n do it then messed up n regret. So anyone that has cut their intercooler outlet, please post what tool? Thankyou.

Its just aluminum. Hacksaw, band saw, cutoff wheel, etc.

I have used those on I don't know how many car projects in an attempt to avoid buying additional larger cutting equipment. You will use MANY of them should you choose to take that path. If your concern is cost effectiveness, get a hacksaw and a few extra blades. Otherwise, the suggestions provided above (sawzall, bandsaw etc) are really the best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother with the dremel. Those are for making models and stuff.

If your endtanks are cast you might be surprised how thick it is where you need to cut it. Some of the ones I have cut up were nearly 3/8" in spots.

I agree with everyones suggestions. It's less than a 5min job with a bandsaw, portaband, sawz-all and even a proper cut off wheel in a grinder. Whoever is welding it will have the tools to cut it also. Make friends with them now.