HybridZ

Which clutch to buy?

Vivalawham

What's the difference between a clutch like this - http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Nissan/280Z/Centerforce/Clutch_Kit/1978/Base/6_Cyl_2-dot-8L/C78DF583402.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

And a clutch like this - http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Nissan/280Z/Sachs/Clutch_Kit/1978/Base/6_Cyl_2-dot-8L/S2KF61801.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

The available clutch kits kinda jump from 150 straight to 300 - just trying to figure out what makes it worth double the price. I'm looking for street application, mated to an L28ET eventually putting out between 250-300hp. I'm told I don't want a sprung disk in order to retain driveability.

-Bryce

Get the right clutch the right time It would just be a waste to have to spend $82 then have to replace it down the road even if it may still be in good shape.

Exactly. In order to change the clutch you need to drop the transmission. While not hard, it is a royal PITA if the car is on jack stands. Spend the money now and you'll be thanking yourself later.

Sachs makes good stuff. Centerforce is crap IMO. You'll find other opinions on that, but you've got mine. I would suggest an ACT pressure plate with either their kevlar disk or a stock disk. I don't think you need a puck disk for that kind of power if you can get the stiffer pressure plate.

Buy a Spec from TH Motorsports.

Both companies have some of the best customer service I have encountered.

I had bought an ACT that turned out to be defective from TH Motorsports. Presssure plate spring was broken in half. Discovered only after brand new clutch was installed and would not disengage. Even though I clearly demonstrated that it was broken with high quality photos, ACT insisted that I send it in and they would have to repair it because they had no replacements in stock. What I got back, after considerable time considering that I was trying to get my car back on the road, was a new pressure plate (I had recorded the serial numbers). By the time I got it back I had already purchased and installed a Spec clutch because TH Motorsports sold it to me at just over costs because the ACT they sold me was defective.

Spec also custom made reasonably priced replacement friction discs for an older Fidanza flywheel I had when Fidanza would not provide me the correct part at any cost.

Sam

Edited by Sam280Z

A stock 225mm NA clutch has no chance on a turbo engine.

A stock 240mm turbo/2+2 clutch works well on a mild turbo setup (say up to 225hp)

If you are going to have 250 to 300hp then you will need to step up to a 240mm clutch setup. You will need a 2+2 flywheel, 2+2 throwout bearing hub (4mm shorter than the NA hub), and 3 more pressure plate mounting bolts (9 on the 240mm pressure plate versus 6 on the 225 mm pressure plate).

I recommend a 240mm SPEC stage 1 or stage 2 (www.nipponpower.com).

avoid the spec stage 3 for the street due to very quick engagements (on or off).

you need a sprung clutch disk for the street.

Speed cost money.

A stock 225mm NA clutch has no chance on a turbo engine.

I've seen 300+ WHP turbo motors have zero issues running a mild performance clutch from Centerforce and a 225mm flywheel. The car also saw track duty. No issues.

A stock 240mm turbo/2+2 clutch works well on a mild turbo setup (say up to 225hp)

If you are going to have 250 to 300hp then you will need to step up to a 240mm clutch setup. You will need a 2+2 flywheel, 2+2 throwout bearing hub (4mm shorter than the NA hub), and 3 more pressure plate mounting bolts (9 on the 240mm pressure plate versus 6 on the 225 mm pressure plate).

I recommend a 240mm SPEC stage 1 or stage 2 (www.nipponpower.com).

avoid the spec stage 3 for the street due to very quick engagements (on or off).

you need a sprung clutch disk for the street.

Speed cost money.

Edited by z-ya

I'm with JMortensen. The ACT setup with a heavier duty pressure plate and a street performance disc is a good way to go. I did a little research on that setup and searched prices a bit and came up with the following: www.importrp.com seemed to have the best pricing on there ACT package deal (I've never bought anything from them yet but plan to soon) 1. Heavy Duty Pressure Plate With Street Performance Disc (Increase of 20% - 50% Clamp Load) (400 ft/lbs torque capacity)

Part # = NX2-HDSS $353.82 (free shipping)

2. Xtreme Pressure Plate With Street Performance Disc (Increase of 50% - 120% Clamp Load) (490 ft/lbs torque capacity)

Part # = NX2-XTSS $393.13 (free shipping)

I plan to purchase the xtreme pressure plate with the street performance disc for my L28et project. I've asked around from others with the turbo setup in there z and they all told me the same thing. They have tried quite a few different clutch setups and thought that this would be the best option for me. I plan to have 350-400 hp.

This is only my opinion. Since I have not yet purchased this clutch setup, I can't tell you yet how well it works. You will get a lot of different opinions by asking questions on this forum which is great. That's what it is all about. Maybe you can gather enough valuable info and come up with the perfect clutch setup for your situation. If it works out good for you be sure to let us know which setup you choose and how well it works. (For future reference for others who will sooner or later be doing the same search you are doing for the best clutch setup for their situation).

Sorry I was so long winded, good luck with your search. Hope this info helps.

check out SPEC's page

http://www.nipponpower.com/product.phtml?p=368&mmk=491

2 seater clutch "225mm" capacities

stage : 267 ftlbs

stage 2: 300 ftlbs (kevlar disk)

stage 3: 350 ftlbs (6 puck semi-metallic, not good for street)

stage 4: 350 ftlbs

stage 5 499 ftlbs

2+2 clutch "240mm"

stage 1: 395 ftlbs

stage 2: 450 ftlbs (kevlar disk)

stage 3: 515 ftlbs (6 puck semi-metallic, not god for street)

stage 4: 515 ftlbs

stage 5: 699 ftlbs

I recommend a 240mm clutch for a turbo as I have personally burnt up "performance 225mm clutches" with mild turbo builds. 225mm clutches just don't hold the torque of 240mm.

I first installed an OEM 240mm turbo clutch when I completed my 81 280zxt auto to manual swap. The OEM clutch lasted a year or so until I turned the boost up to 8 psi and was destroyed instantly. Put in an ACT Street Performance clutch and have not looked back. Currently running 12 psi.