HybridZ

How to Modify Datsun 510, 610, 240Z Engines and Chassis VS How to Modify your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine

rayaapp2

I recently had a chance to look at this older publication "How to Modify Datsun 510, 610, 240Z Engines and Chassis". Its extremely similar to the newer "How To Modify Your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine". There are a few tid bits missing from either, but overall the older book has a ton more info in it even though Im sure the newer publication pulled a lot of the same sources maybe even from the older publication though I dont see mention of it in any credits. Its a shame I cannot find an inexpensive copy of the older one.

I had never realized that the other older book existed. A friend of mine happened to have a 1970's copy around.

Thought I would mention the older one for those like me that didnt know it existed.

They are not the same book. Honsowetz's book (How to Modify) is about engines specifically. I haven't had one in my hands in 10 years, but I believe the other one is "How to Hotrod Your Datsun 510, 610, and 240Z". The How to Hotrod book has a lot more chassis stuff and I recall it having some pictures of some of the old BRE 510s. I think there is A LOT more info here for the Z car than you'll find in that book. I seem to remember it being pretty 510 specific.

The Author of 'How to Hotrod' a nom de plume 'Bob Warr' was a gentleman who recently passed.

"Bob Warr"---Barbed Wire in Texaspeak... Get it? Hyuk hyuk hyuk...

Got a description of the cover art? A 510 in a downhill righthander? If so, that's the one...

Yeah I got that they weren't the same book, but they both cover very similar subject matter. The older book has two authors, both books have different publishers and publish dates. The older one that is heavily based on the 510 stuff seemed to have more in it in regards to engine building as well. I believe you are right that it also covers chassis information as well. Who cant adapt L16 engine building to any other L series though, and there is quite a good coverage of in general engine building in there. Worthy enough for me to want my own copy.

bb87a2c008a0bd047fed4010.L._AA300_.jpg

14978149e7a025d7c029d110.L._AA300_.jpg

This was indeed the book. Im going to have to keep an eye out for a copy at swap meets. Bob Waar and Bill Fisher circa 1973. Unless Bob'd Wire is actually Bill Fisher.

"The Book" that most of us younger folk have:

30420.jpg

Edited by rayaapp2