HybridZ

Engine bay-same color paint?

gnosez

I'm a week or two away from having my 240 painted (engine bay, interior, undercarriage) and body work on the shell (will be primed). The question is do I go all one color or do the bay black? I will be installing the engine later with all the accessories. I'm sure I'll be tweaking something in the bay before long and of course will need to touch it up. Which would be easier..black (either satin or semi-gloss) or the silverstone I plan on using?

Guest 240hybrid

My car is red and my engine bay is satin black. I have to get the body repainted, but plan on leaving engine bay black. I think it sets off all the nice and shiny/clean stuff on and around the engine. good luck

Guest Anonymous

cry2.gif The problem I have is I have a Lime-Yellow 73. That is that "unripe" banana greenish, like if you get the flu and do alot of coughing. I wanted to paint my car a "normal" yellow, but I am on a tight budget. Which means in the wheel wells, under the hood, etc I was hoping not to paint, just the car body. So I am trying to decide:

1) Do I just live with the "lung-butter" color, and redo it that? After all, it's factory

2) Repaint the car the yellow of my dreams as per my budget, and live with the fact when you open the hood, you are suddenly unloading a produce truck

OR

3) sell the farm, screw my kids college fund, and do it all (unlikely)

hello Guys I was at my local auto store where they mix their own paint. Their paint is a really great deal have seen it on other cars for myself. TO paint my entire car inside and out complete paint package will cost about 400 dollars and that includes quite a bit of extra paint. That paint is actually made by ppg also. So that not a bad price in my opinion. I say go for all the same color. OF course if you are planning on having someone else paint it then you might want to reconsider that. Good Luck

Never mind Dan Juday! I went and picked out my paint today. Its from the "House of Kolor" It's going to cost about $800 for all the paint, clear coat, and kandy color to do my whole car and the engine bay.

Oh I can't wait! 2thumbs.gif:D

Guy

Check out Pete paraska's car, I think that it is one of the best looking dark blue color i have ever seen. Audi Blue Mica i think pre 97. Another great color is a lighter blue that my malibu is painted, 89 nissan blue teal or something... i need to find the color code to be sure...

Guest Zachb55

man you guys are braking the bank with that paint, hell im only dropping like a $100 on a gallon of the yellow im getting and its nearly identical to Viper Race Yellow which runs at around $350 a gallon. Im also getting my paint through Martin Senour Paints because its all there really is round these parts... tongue.gif

-Zach

Hey Guy,

Don't get hot! fmad.gif

I'm just pullin' your chain. I've blabbed here so many time about my paint choice I thought people where sick of hearing it.

But I'm glad you made your own choice anyway. That's the way it's suppost to be. 2thumbs.gif

BTW, here's a hint: It's the same color they paint the Viper. bonk.gif

its not the cost its what you get out of it.

i paint last, now i can lean on my fenders for hours on end, no biggie, you know why, i dont care. ive dropped two motors into this car and never laid a can to the engine bay, dont care to, maybe one day ill prep it and paint it black or something, but for now, i dont care. i will paint it after im done with my boost mods and a radio, so i can hit sears point the right way,

im thinking honda SI blue or prelude SH silvery blue, nice colors, and they dont stand out like yellow or red, but they stand out.

Guest freakypainter

hey guys, new to the site and just thought id add my 2 cents since i actually paint cars for a living. you guys should really research what you want before you buy the paint, and ask around for a reputable shop. there are alot of off brands of paint, and while u can buy a gallon of OMNI clear for $35, which is an off brand of PPG, a gallon of PPG clear is about $200, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. the Omni clear will not hold up as well does not spray as nice and is ALOT HARDER TO BUFF. as far as HOUSE of KOLOR, that is awesome paint, BUT you need to find a shop that is willing to spray it. spraying candy is alot different from spraying the ordinary colors the car manufactureres use. please ask around your local area and when youve found a shop you think you might want to trust with painting your car ask if they have any pics or can talk to someone that they have done custom work for. there is a huge diffence between the $800 Maaco paint job and the $3000 - $4000 job you'd get at a reputable shop. Just so you dont think im blowin smoke I am I-Car and DuPont certified and have sprayed almost all kinds of paint, DuPont, House of Kolor, PPG, Diamont, Sikkens, etc. Thanks

Guest livewire23

yea that aint Honda Si blue. I got a honda. Its an Si. Its blue. It aint pretty. lol, but seriously, I know that Honda SI blue isnt the color on my car, but i dont think its that color either.

BTW, say hurrah for my honda, it just got a bit faster, and my fuel mileage improved too!