HybridZ

V8 Coversion Kit

I am new to this forum I just purchased a 76 280Z and a SBC I have looked at 3 different kit manufacturers. They are all about the same with each having their own little twist. I am looking for a direction as to which kit is the best as far as working with, fitment and which kit is the most complete instead of trying to piece one together from all three. I will be putting a SBC 350 with a T5 into a 76 Z. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm guessing you found the JTR kit, the scarab/hooker kit, and the JCI kit?

JCI is for the gen 3/4 engines, so it won't work with the gen 1/2 small blocks.

The JTR kit is the standard. It's a quality kit, and it's reasonably priced. It sets the engine low and far back, but it really limits your header options. You are looking at custom if you want long tubes, but if you stick with block huggers or manifolds, then there are a TON of options out there.

The scarab kit places the engine further up and away from the firewall, but the headers that hooker used to make bolt right in.

I haven't done the swap personally, but if I was doing it I would buy the kit from JTR and get their swap book too. There is a TON of good info in there!

If you use the search function, you'll be able to find the nuances of each different kit, but this should get you going in the right direction.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

That was what star was trying to tell you. The brokenkitty kit from John's Cars is for the newer style lsx engines it will not work with gen 1/2 engines. The kit is also a good kit with plenty of reputation around here. Before you continue and the administrators slap you on the wrist I suggest you do a thorough search and read the forum stickies on v8 conversions. There is WAY more help then you might imagine already scribed in the forums and hashed out by veteran members who spilled plenty of blood and tears so that we might not traverse their painful mistakes a second time.

Edited by emeraldlion

I am one of the few people here to use the MSA V8 installation kit. I have used it on two 240Z v8 builds. The first car 10 years ago and the car is still on the road. The second v8 Z two years ago with no problems. The one thing I like about it is the trans mount bolts inside the tunnel allowing you to move the trans tailstock up/down to get the best driveline angle before bolting the mount in place. Do a search for MSA mounts. You shouild find 2 or 3 of my posts on the install.

In terms of engine position it is close to the fire wall and low, but not as low as the JTR mount.

post-178-028416400 1296283718_thumb.jpg

post-178-046339100 1296283777_thumb.jpg

post-178-081149800 1296283835_thumb.jpg

post-178-051351900 1296285759_thumb.jpg

post-178-066446500 1296285929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

• 2 months later...

I also was going to do a v8 swap and still might, but I am working on a v8 car for my friend and im learning alot more every day I work on it. I have the JTR book and it references the scarab kit. Altho Im not educated on the JCI kit but ive read and reread/studied if you will, the JTR book and it breaks everything down to make it sound easy, but like I said ive never done the swap but it sounds easy enough with the JTR kit. Also the JTR kit allows for better shifter placement and beter center of gravity being that the engine is lower in the car. Also the JTR book has some nifty little tips on whts the best trans to use for you application suspension, tire sizes, They have pics of cars that are already built,

I like the MSA engine mounts, myself. I used them with slight modification to keep the engine lower and closer to the firewall (so much so that I cannot use an HEI distributor). I ended up having someone make a trans mount for me, as I didn't like any of the ones JTR/MSA/JCI offer. It was basically some .125" wall thickness square tubing on each side welded to a rather hefty plate which mounted to the back of the tail-shaft (where it was originally on the T5), this allowed me to re-use the stock early-240 trans mount bolt holes and maintain rigidity (by using thicker stock steel) and provided better drive-line geometry. It allows plenty of room to tuck some 2 1/2" exhaust piping all the way back, as well, and you don't have to drill more holes in the body to mount it.