HybridZ

BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER LEAKING

Wondering what's really wrong here, I just notice that I got a break fluid leak between the break master cylinder and booster, do I need a new master? Its there a gasket that goes between the these two or what? Please see picture and notice the drop ready to fall at the bottom of the booster.

thanks,

Juan.

post-5064-080020000 1297990286_thumb.jpg

Edited by J240ZTurbo

Replace the master cylinder. Be sure to properly bench bleed the new master cylinder before installing it on the car. Search the Brake section for how to instructions as it has been written up several times.

Edited by Miles

if it is, where can I buy a new 79-81 280ZX 15/16 MC?

Allow me to save you an assload of time, Oreilly / Kragen, Autozone, and Napa Auto Parts all show that they have reman Master Brake Cylinders. The problem is, they don't have any of them in stock and if you have them do a check to get one, they will tell you it's been discontinued. There is ONE that Oreilly shows and has, I ordered it and sadly the bolt mounts were horizontal not vertical so it was useless to me. (It was the Cardone brand) I did A LOT of searching and asking around and it seems like the only financially feasible options are..

1. Go to a salvage yard around here and pull a used one, or ask around on the forums since some people do it to have extra for this exact reason.

2. Buy a rebuild kit, didn't really find any ones that I was absolutely sure were going to work / be the right one. (Could be a potential 40-50$ dive)

3. The most expensive is to buy a new one, places that I saw have them that range around 130-150$

If I am wrong, feel free to correct me but I spent probably 8 hours calling and searching for information about reman Master Brake Cylinders for 79-81 280ZX's.

Edited by Chace

Buy a rebuild kit. I think I got one from Black Dragon Auto for $15 or something. Comes with new seals, spring, piston for your master cylinder. Put it together the way it comes apart. Look up guides/how-to's for bench bleeding and also checking the health of your master cylinder. They're like the cylinders in your engine and if they have scrapes in the side from worn seals they won't seal properly.

Unless you've done other upgrades to your brake system, you shouldn't go with a 280zx master cylinder. Your stock brake system is setup for front disc/rear drum. 280zx is front disc/rear disc. Disc brakes use high pressure low volume and drum's use high volume low pressure.

I recommend you read the brake FAQ before thinking about upgrading.

Edited by Netrix

Buy a rebuild kit. I think I got one from Black Dragon Auto for $15 or something. Comes with new seals, spring, piston for your master cylinder. Put it together the way it comes apart. Look up guides/how-to's for bench bleeding and also checking the health of your master cylinder. They're like the cylinders in your engine and if they have scrapes in the side from worn seals they won't seal properly.

Unless you've done other upgrades to your brake system, you shouldn't go with a 280zx master cylinder. Your stock brake system is setup for front disc/rear drum. 280zx is front disc/rear disc. Disc brakes use high pressure low volume and drum's use high volume low pressure.

I recommend you read the brake FAQ before thinking about upgrading.

Black Dragon doesn't have a rebuild kit for 79-81, Part # 64-403 is the reference. I'm sure they're out there on other sites, but hard to find one you trust.

Black Dragon doesn't have a rebuild kit for 79-81, Part # 64-403 is the reference. I'm sure they're out there on other sites, but hard to find one you trust.

It's listed in their catalog, might be worth giving them a call. See if they can order it for you.

I was going to order one myself this summer to rebuild a 280zx MC I pulled off my parts car, bummer.

I ordered the kit for my 260z' MC a few years ago, looked good.

It is not clear why you want a 280Zx MC. Motor Sports Auto (MSA) sells master cylinders for Z cars. So does Courtesey Nissan and Black Dragon. MSA or Courtesey Nissan might even still have and OEM MC available. Unless you have done it before, I don't advise you to rebuild your MC. There is more to it than just replacing seals. If the bore is worn or pitted it will continue to leak after the new seals are installed.

If you have a stock 240Z then you do not want to install a 280ZX MC unless you have also installed some kind of big brake kit like the Toyota 4x4 calipers with vented rotor up grade for front brakes.

If you install the larger bore 280ZX MC on your stock 240Z you will notice that you have to push harder on the brake pedal.

Be safe. If you are not familiar with doing brake work you may want to consider taking the car to a brake shop and have the MC replaced.

Here, save you some trouble. I bought this one from Rockauto.com. This is straight from my invoice. It came with everything, beautifully rebuilt and brand new reservoirs, caps w/ wires, right down to the original style clamps to hold the reservoirs. This took me SEVERAL tries to find. Be sure to search for a promo code, there's always one for 5% off out there.

Search by this string:

1980 NISSAN 280ZX 2.8L 2753cc L6 MFI (H) [L28E] SOHC

Or this part:

CENTRIC 13042604 (130.42604) Master Cylinder $ 155.79

Discount $ -7.79

ShippingGround (FedEx or UPS)$ 10.43

Order Total $ 158.43

*EDIT* Formatted table didn't come out right.

Edited by z2go

That's odd Chace. I just bought a reman '79-'81 NABCO unit two weeks ago at O'Reilly and it was here the next day. I also bought another reman, exact same unit for another vehicle a couple years ago at an Autozone in Arizona and it was there the next day too. Perhaps it's some sort of California geographical oddity?

Same story here(East Coast), my 15/16 MC is turn out leaking. Thinking about getting a rebuild one to save cost, but can't find any locally or online(many of these stores said they have it, but when I do the checkout, turn out run out of stock). End up order a new one from Rockauto, so get them while you can, they getting harder and harder to find now.

Ed

That's odd Chace. I just bought a reman '79-'81 NABCO unit two weeks ago at O'Reilly and it was here the next day. I also bought another reman, exact same unit for another vehicle a couple years ago at an Autozone in Arizona and it was there the next day too. Perhaps it's some sort of California geographical oddity?

Yeah it must have something to do with CA, cause I called almost every day for a couple weeks multiple auto parts shops and they never had them or could order them. From what I've read they were a lot easier to get a couple years ago but seem to be dropping off.

• 3 months later...