HybridZ

R200 LSD Recognition

KROz

I found someone on craigslist with a 280zx he's parting out that he claims has a LSD.

I plan on taking a look at it this week and am wondering what some things are i can look for to determine if it is an actual limited slip or not.

I'm doubting it is, but he says the PO may have swapped it out.

Other than the finned cover, what are some things that I can look for in order to determine if it is or not?

I'm guessing it's still in the car, so I really don't think taking the cover off to check will be something I'm likely to do.

Turn off car, jack up the rear (with blocks up front), put transmission in neutral. With your hands, spin one of the tires/wheels:

1.) If they both turn in the same direction you've got LSD. :2thumbs:

2.) If they turn in opposite directions you've got NON-LSD. :violin:

...The case might also have a sticker on it too.

Edited by LanceVance

Turn off car, jack up the rear (with blocks up front), put transmission in neutral. With your hands, spin one of the tires/wheels:

1.) If they both turn in the same direction you've got LSD. :2thumbs:

2.) If they turn in opposite directions you've got NON-LSD. :violin:

...The case might also have a sticker on it too.

Nope. That doesn't work. A welded diff, a diff full of sawdust, and many other non-LSD items will cause the tires to spin in the same direction. You must take the rear cover off an look inside to see if the unit has a LSD. The seller should be willing to do that. if not, pass on the deal.

You could always just try lighting up the rear and checking for 1 tire fire?

Sounds way easier than and more fun than taking the diff cover off.

No, that won't work either. An IRS car can very easily light up both tires with an open diff. There are no shortcuts and you shouldn't be taking any when spending hundreds of dollars on a diff.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try as much of that as possible when I go to look at it.

I really don't want to spend too much time outside because it's in the negatives up here, and it's not supposed to be getting any nicer anytime soon.

I also found a guy with a LSD from a Z32 Twin Turbo with CV shafts and everything, but I haven't read up on what's required to get one of those into an S30 yet.

I'm assuming it's different than a Z31 LSD, which as I understand is a direct bolt in. (except from the SS)

Is that correct?

I just want to make sure I'm digesting the info I've been reading correctly.