HybridZ

Autodarkening Welding Helmets - What do you recommend?

BLOZ UP

So my $40 Harbor Freight autodarkening welding helmet died. It lasted a couple years without a problem, and I'd go grab another one.... but, I figure I weld enough to warrant splurging for a nice one. I've been looking at the Jackson NexGen ones with the large viewing areas, but I can't find any solid reviews of enough to justify dropping $300-400. And from what I have read, I can find people who dislike any of the expensive ones for various reasons.

So, what helmet do you have or recommend? I do TIG only from 5-150 amps.

Same boat here....

At some point, I will do a google search with the name/number of a few helmets and maybe add words like "slow" "strobe"....etc. and see if there are complaints of it being too slow.

One thing to make sure is that any auto-darkening helmet has a true battery and not a capacitor or welding in a dark area will guarantee bright flashes before the helmet clamps down.

Any ANSI Z87+ spec helmets should provide UV/IR/Eye Death protection even in the light shade. It'll just be bright. The HF freight ones are, so it says...

From what I read: Miller Digital Elite: Great but proprietary cover lenses, Jackson NexGen: Great but more pricey.

I'm leaning towards the NexGen. I just want one without tacky/overly patriotic graphics on it.

Can't beat Harbor Freight! I've only had mine for a year or so, but it has worked well. My only complaint is that the headstrap tends to get stuck on my hair and pull it out, one strand at a time...

What did your HF one do when it started to die?

Can't beat Harbor Freight! I've only had mine for a year or so, but it has worked well. My only complaint is that the headstrap tends to get stuck on my hair and pull it out, one strand at a time...

What did your HF one do when it started to die?

Started flickering on me. At first it was low amps, so I tried 50 amps or so. Still flickered. Tried different angles thinking I was covering one of the sensors, still flickered. Let it charge for a few hours, lasted about 30 seconds then started flickering again. Batteries might be dead--but it's suppose to be solar powered as well.

Before that I never had any flickering even at low amps. Mine pulled my hair out as well, but that's the type of straps, and is probably common to other helmets as well. That's what those bandanna things are for.

Started flickering on me. At first it was low amps, so I tried 50 amps or so. Still flickered. Tried different angles thinking I was covering one of the sensors, still flickered. Let it charge for a few hours, lasted about 30 seconds then started flickering again. Batteries might be dead--but it's suppose to be solar powered as well.

Before that I never had any flickering even at low amps. Mine pulled my hair out as well, but that's the type of straps, and is probably common to other helmets as well. That's what those bandanna things are for.

And here I was thinking that guys were wearing bandannas as a fashion statement. Dammit.

I've never charged mine, just let it sit where it can absorb light and it seems to do alright. You're right, it's probably just the batteries.

I have both a Miller brand one and a cheap one from eBay (likely the same as the HF ones). I broke the eBay one the first time I bumped it off of the table and cracked the housing. The lens works just fine though so I did a quick fiberglass patch on the shell to keep it as a spare. I have no complaints from the Miller one other than you have to remember to turn it on (my eBay one has an auto-on[always on?] feature). I also have some buddies that have hoods by SpeedGlas and they seem to like them just fine.

I have two different HF AD Helmets - the cheapest one purchased 8 years ago and the Flame one w/replaceable battery.

Both work well. I let anyone who wants to watch use either the standard Jackson helmet I purchased when taking classes at the local Vo-Tech or the least expensive HF AD. I of course use the better one w/battery - but then I am usually a lot closer to the work.

I always lay the helmets out in the sun for a few minutes before using - don't think it makes a diff, but never had a failure either...

I TIG and MIG weld for a living and when first started welding in 1973, I used a big window Jackson. For about 25 years now, I have only used SpeedGlas, of which I have owned 5 different models and my last 3 helmets have had adjustable shades from 9 to 13 and are powered by solar cells and batteries. I currently use the new 9100 model and thought the headband looks a bit funny it is the most comfortable I have ever worn. The price is on the high side ($330), but my last one was $400 (I now use it at home). I have seen all the others, but SpeedGlas has the lightest in weight and when you have to wear it all like me, that makes a big difference. I will only own and use SpeedGlas.

I like the Miller Elites quite a bit (with four sensors). They are comfortable and turn on automaticly, which is nice. The headgear is a little junky though and they are a little heavy to wear all day for me. Also the hood is a little bigger than some other ones, so if you weld in tight places it can restrict you a little. That said, I use a Speedglas for probably 8-20 hrs/week and it's very light, compact and comfortable. The only problem I ever have is an occational flash from blocking the sensors when welding in difficult places.

When 3M bought Speedglas, they change from 3 sensors to 2 and I had that same flash problem when the sensors were covered. I could turn up the sensitivity, put when another welder or the robot started welding, my helmet would darken when I needed it to be semi-clear. My new 9100 model has a 3rd sensor and since it is located above the lens in the center (like when Speedglas owned them), I have never had a problem with flash while welding and no other welding effects it either.

Another welder and I were both looking for new helmets (we both had older Speedglas). He wanted and got a Miller Elite helmet (for the neat graphics I think), but when the salesman said he would match an online price I found for the 9100 Speedglas (the same price as the Elite), that is what I got. We have own our helmets for about 2 years now and thought I have dropped mine about 5 times (still works fine), after he dropped his the 2nd time, the lens started getting black spots on the edges of the lenses and then it stopped working, he went back to using his old Speedglas, that he took home. I told him to buy a new Miller Elite, use it for a few months, then swap out the lenses and turn it in for warranty.

Edited by bruce83

I really do not like the big lense hoods. I used a Huntsman Hood for years in the pipe trades. I prefer to have the option to either use an auto darkening or straight tinted lense. When welding open butt there are too many times when the arc is in the inside of a pipe the lense wants to go bright.

It's been a while and I don't have access to my tools right now, but they were 2 3V button cells( I think it was CR3032). You have to pry it open and then remove the old batteries (spot welded to tabs) then just install the new ones. Worked great.

Hi

I have a Miller Digital Elite at work for MIG and TIG, I am very happy with it.

If your gonna buy a helmet online I would get some extra lens covers at the same time.

It has 4 sensors as well as an "X mode" (that senses for weld current instead of optically sensing an arc.)

sensitivity from 0 to 13

You can adjust; shade, sensitivity, and delay.

Ahmed.