HybridZ

Enough with the large photos People

srgunz

The real travesty is when camera megapixel count is far greater than camera lens quality or capacity to focus. Then you get a huge (in memory) photograph at poor quality. Most of us use point-and-shoot cameras to record all things automotive. Today these cameras are often 10Mpix or larger – but the image quality is wasted on anything larger than maybe 3 Mpix. I make it a habit to down-sample in Photoshop all images from my point and shoot (Panasonic Lumix).

Michael has a very good point. I got a super-duper 10MP camera, but it took worse photos than my former 4MP!

The 4MP would at least allow me to go almost to full resolution before seeing some loss at the corners of the photo (which is fine since I usually crop them for work anyway.)

When I got my 10MP, it was terrible even in the center of the photo (plastic lens!)

My latest camera, another 10MP is much larger, back to the size of my old 4MP camera, but it has a large lens, and can actually use the 10MP setting to full effect. Much better lens.

Nevertheless, I restrict day-to-day shooting to 3MP for most photos. That is about 2X larger than what I used on any of my former cameras for point and shoot shots(1280X960)

Most of the time I will crop out from the higher MP shots, and resize in Erfanview to a 640X480 shot for inclusion into a report. Here, I usually post full size and let it resize smaller. I could post much larger now thanks to that better lens, but I fell the card space is wasted on HiRes when 3MP is fine for most 'print' photos on paper if you are making a presentation of old snapshots to send to grandma and grandpa for their album.

Though grandma comments that the higher-res photos do appear 'crisper' on the digital picture frame she got for christmas some years ago...

I'd agree, for gawd's sake, don't overshoot your lens! Most of the point and shoots can go by a simple rule: If the lens is the size of a Dime (20mm diameter or smaller) don't waste your card space shooting to the full capacity of the photosensor! It's why most guys apologize for their camera photos! Crappy Lens, even for 1280X960! :(

What bothers me the most is when the forum software resizes, and when you click on the photo to make it larger it goes into "its own little scroll window."

This is annoying. I feel like if you click on a picture to make larger you should be able to scroll to the left and right and up and down on the main window and not have a duplicate small window appear.