HybridZ

Need help with gland nut...

The suspension in my zx is shot. So I have got a set of blue Tokico HP shocks and lowering springs to boot. The rear shocks and springs, went on without a hitch. The front is another story altogether... I have gotten down the gland nut that is holding the shock absorber in the strut housing... Any tips or tricks to get this off??

I am having no luck with it.

What I had to do with my S30 suspension was put bolt the hub to the spare tire. Have someone stand on the spare tire and them put all my weight on the pipe wrench on the gland nut. Also you gotta make sure the hub/ suspension doesn't turn. PB Blaster is your friend. Good Luck

Leverage and grip is required.

Remove the strut from the car. Place the gland nut pointed down in a vise. Place a three or four ft. pipe over the wheel spindle to provide leverage and push/pull to break the gland nut loose. Or , with the gland nut in the vise, you can use a pipe wrench on the strut tube with a three or four ft. pipe lever over the handle of the wrench. Problem with placing the pipe wrench on the strut tube is that you can deform the tube. I have done it both ways and the gland nut just breaks loose.

The object is to provide a lot of leverage and a solid unmovable grip on the gland nut. I have tried all of the suggested techniques and this works.

What ever technique you choose do be carefull not to deform the threaded end of the strut tube.