HybridZ

Tips for shipping an engine across the country?

auxilary

I am trying to sell the 13b-re rotary locally, but no one seems to be interested. However, tons of people on east coast want the motor. Since it's taking up space in the garage and not doing me any good, I am now entertaining the ideas of shipping it to other states.

I've never crated and shipped a motor before, so.... what would I need to do, where do I go for packing materials, etc? What companies should I consider using for freighting it? Do they pick the package at my residence or do I have to deliver it? (makes it more difficult, as I am lacking a truck and a forklift).

Total noob, so any useful information you throw my way will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Home Depot.

3/8" plywood base, 1/4" plywood sides and top.

1" x 2" wood for inner frame, skids, and engine mounts.

Wood glue.

Drywall screws.

Lag bolts.

Measure and cut the box bottom. Screw and glue 1 x 2s to the bottom so a forklift can get its forks under the box. Position the engine on the bottom and make mounts out of the 1 x 2 to hold the engine in place. Glue and screw the mounts to the bottom. use the lag bolts to attach the engine to the 1 x 2 mounts.

Measure and cut the box sides and top. Glue and screw all the side together and to the bottom using the 1 x 2s. Make sure there's a frame at the top so the top can be screwed down.

Measure and cut the box top and screw (no glue) it in place.

well if theyll pay the $100 mat&labor, along with the couple hundred to send it, atleast you sold the motor etc and if they cover the $3-400 shipping then you made a little extra for making a box. That only takes about an hour and maybe $20-40 of mat...$60hr+ for making a box isnt bad

Nice. Well the crate I have is roughly a 3x3x3 cube with wheels on it. Comes with custom cut foam that you could cut yourself to work with the engine. Let me know if you want to come pick it up. Call or email me. I am only in town until Friday, then I leave for business travel for 3 weeks.

For shipping I can get you a quote from a logistics company I know based out of Hayward. They ship large trade show displays for me all the time so they specialize in palletized and crated shipments. They would pick up from your house and deliver to wherever.

How much does the motor weigh?

The crate is located in Livermore at my work so just hit me up if you wanna come get it...

(925) 784-3962

jdice2@topcon.com

John.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

well if theyll pay the $100 mat&labor, along with the couple hundred to send it, atleast you sold the motor etc and if they cover the $3-400 shipping then you made a little extra for making a box. That only takes about an hour and maybe $20-40 of mat...$60hr+ for making a box isnt bad

Exactly, although it takes me a bit longer to make the box. I generally screw something up and have to rebuild a part of it. Then there's the time I cut throw the power cord of the circular saw...

This is who I used.

Diversified Transportation Services

Sales Associate (Gina Thone)

24910 Las Brisas Road ste#113

Murrieta, Ca 92562

phone # 800-686-3871 ext 223 fax # 951-699-3871

I shipped a crated L6 motor from Orlando to Cali for $350. This was in Dec. 08. They find you the best rate.

For kicks I went in to the Actual Frieght company to see what it would cost. It was over $550.

Edited by JSM

Nice. Well the crate I have is roughly a 3x3x3 cube with wheels on it. Comes with custom cut foam that you could cut yourself to work with the engine. Let me know if you want to come pick it up. Call or email me. I am only in town until Friday, then I leave for business travel for 3 weeks.

For shipping I can get you a quote from a logistics company I know based out of Hayward. They ship large trade show displays for me all the time so they specialize in palletized and crated shipments. They would pick up from your house and deliver to wherever.

How much does the motor weigh?

The crate is located in Livermore at my work so just hit me up if you wanna come get it...

(925) 784-3962

jdice2@topcon.com

John.

It's about 180 lbs, pretty sure not that it's not over 200. Will you be in town on Fri? I actually have that day off. Otherwise, I don't get out of work until about 7pm, and I work in Sunnyvale. I'll try to give you a call tonight or tomorrow, thanks again for the offer, very awesome of you

It's about 180 lbs, pretty sure not that it's not over 200. Will you be in town on Fri? I actually have that day off. Otherwise, I don't get out of work until about 7pm, and I work in Sunnyvale. I'll try to give you a call tonight or tomorrow, thanks again for the offer, very awesome of you

Call me on Friday. I am available then for you to pick it up.

crating charge...

I always keep a weather eye out near dumpsters for small pallets. One of those, a band-it strap or two, and like JohnC says some cheap plywood and scrap wood and you got a nice shipping container.

When I worked at 'the large compressor company that doesn't have blue products, but grey' they would ship these european stacking crates, basically 1X6's with hinges. Fit over a standard pallet, and you just stacked them till you could put a top on it, and band it all together. I got spoiled stealing those for personal use (still have a child's sandbox and two tomato growing pits where they are used!) Also the old compression element crates were good for shipping small stuff, like a rotary, the elements are about the same size. They charge customers for them now, so they aren't particularly as available as before.

But at least I got the metal banding machine when the office closed... :D

I would expect in the area of $300, the smaller the box you have, the better. Might want to cruise the dumpsters in the industrial area, you might get lucky before Pedro the Woodsman comes and takes all the pallets away.

go to WWW.USHIP.COM

Very easy to register. Once you are registered you post your item to be shipped including where it is to be picked up and dropped off. You will then get bids on the cost of shipping from various companies. I recently used this site to have a boat picked up and delivered. Had several bids and chose once based on price and good feedback. A great resource.

LMAO at Pedro the Woodsman! hahahaha!

I knew someone else saw the elusive pallet eating gnome!

Runs around in a mid 70's early 80's domestic pickup with pallet walls on the bed, expired tag and those bhrama bull stickers on each door.

Beware, beware of the pallet bandito! :lol:

Substitute 'Pallet' for Fritos Corn Chips:

Bandito Song...

Hah! Way back in my yoot I worked a Norris Wheels. UAW job and everyone started in Pallet Repair. Some of the employees had worked in Pallet Repair their whole career - they were the ones with the red eyes and slurred speech after lunch and spent their free time shooting at each other with nail guns. They had nicknames like Dawn of the Dead, Cockroach, and Scrotum. I was quickly promoted to Salvage Grinder where I met the Salvage Grinder lifers - Wife Beater and Whackoff. From there I was quickly promoted to Salvage Welder where I had a booth all to myself and didn't have to talk with the psychos. Anyone came into my booth and I pulled the mask done, pulled the trigger on the welder, and they left. My nickname became Jason.