HybridZ

The MONEY PIT.......

I'm 33 and have never been married. Came close twice, but I backed out. I can honestly say that I'm glad I waited. No way a woman would have ever put up with the level of frustration and money spent that this current project has accumulated. However, Now it seems that I will most likely be moving my current girlfriend and her two sons into my home, as I am finally starting to think about settling down.

SpencZ, That said, it is always easier to see grass greener on the other side. Stay focused on your project, you're way to young to let some chick slow you down. Not that headboard olympics should be put off until a later date....just find a friend who is into sport sex! Let that get you by until you're done with the monster!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest RON JONES

I think for what I got into my car,I,m do ing pretty good.Car(rolling)$7500,motor around $9,500(did a lot myself)thats from carb to pan,traded my th400 for the PG plus $400,redid the rear for around $1200(spool,pro gears,35 spline axels,ect.).Plus the $1000 in all the little stuf.I,M at around $20,000 to $21,000.I dont think thats to bad for a prostreet car that runs mid 8,s.And I would also like to add,DON,T GET MARRIED IF YOU DON,T HAVE TO!Unless ofcourse your name is Brad and your wife drives the he!! out of your car.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited May 04, 2000).]

Guest RON JONES

I think for what I got into my car,I,m do ing pretty good.Car(rolling)$7500,motor around $9,500(did a lot myself)thats from carb to pan,traded my th400 for the PG plus $400,redid the rear for around $1200(spool,pro gears,35 spline axels,ect.).Plus the $1000 in all the little stuf.I,M at around $20,000 to $21,000.I dont think thats to bad for a prostreet car that runs mid 8,s.

Great but is it true prostreet PUMP GAS

and useable for every day driving ????

as this is my goal....

not just a a weekend warrier.....

Stan

[This message has been edited by scarp (edited May 04, 2000).]

Memo to Scarp: I'd guess you are married between 7 & 9 yrs. That's when the rules change. Don't know why they change. They just change. Solution? Start talking to everyone and see who might be in the carpet/drape/home furnishings bus., in order to finance their car. Make deals, make wife sorta happy. NEVER EVER tell her how you did it! If you do, you'll make new friends in the legal proffession. Do not lie. Just don't say anything, and just smile. I almost forgot. Lose the money list. If found, trouble. Besides, you have your memories!

[This message has been edited by DennisK (edited May 04, 2000).]

NOPE married for 17 years

and it gets worse as we go along (not really)

my wife does kindof understand the hot rod

in the blood thing ( read other post's)

she does not have any idea how much I had

in the HOBBY account...

guess she thought my MONEY PIT came from A tree..

he he

Stan

I've been married 11 years. The wife first had to put up with me getting a marathon Masters (Thesis) degree that a prof roped me in to (I'm a sucker).

While I was finishing that, I started to build a V8 for the Z. That was 9 years ago. The wife likes fast cars (her boyfriend in highschool had a 68 GTO that she helped work on). She likes the Z. The money part (I'd bet somewhere nearing $17K (I paid more than half of that for EXTENSIVE outer body rust repair, under, in, out bodywork) she minds, but since it's been spread out over so many years it doesn't hurt that much.

What she hates is that it takes time away from the family (2 young kids) on the weekends. She's the one that orders me into the garage to "get that damn car finished". She puts up with it but hates that part now. It's been too long. It WILL get on the road this year.

I love my Z - it's much more than a car, it's a hobby. But I love my wife too. Anybody that can put up with the money flowing into it instead of the nice furniture, more trips, etc. that she wants AND THE TIME it sucks away, how could I not love her!

Single dudes, wait, have fun, then get married. Find a wife that loves what you love. It can be done. Don't get roped into a marriage where the car will be the wedge that drives you apart.

Oh yeah, I agree. Don't keep any running totals around. They will depress you and cause lots of trouble if found. It's a hobby and sure, it costs. Who really cares how much money is in it? How much do your buddies spend on pool night or golf weekends? Or the workaholics that need therapy at $100/hr. One reason my car project has been so long and drawn out is that it's theraputic for me to go in the garage and put that thing back together the way I want it.

Money pit, yes, but your buddies can't sell what they've gotten out of all the golf weekends

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

GREAT outlook and fantastic POINT.

it is a good thing that my wife does not get on my garage computer.

but she really has been wanting me to do this project.

I know guys who spend 2000.00 a mnth on (hitting the little white ball)

so my project is small potato's compared to

mnth after mnth of 2000.00 bill's

she has always loved being able to hit an onramp at 20 mph and punch it and be running

a 100 into traffic and not get run over like the geo guys.........

my view.. (high perf= less traffic problems)

she just thinks I have LOTSA $$$ in my

HOBBY account. for other things... (NOPE)

but now it seems as this project will take a long time as I really am out of $$$$ for a while..

guess will have to buy carpet/drapes

to keep the peace.

again just guess it just small potatos...

Stan

Good point on not keeping running totals!

I try not to think about how much I've spent

(only a little compared to the others). I think more about how worth it it's gonna be to prowl on the neighborhood Porsches and Z3s.

I'm 27 and married, but no kids, cuz I KNOW

that'll stop the Z project dead in it's tracks. Maybe 10 years or so from now...

Owen

soon to buy a hydraulic press for the rear

suspension and driveline parts

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest RON JONES

No stan, its a weekend warrior.race gas only.The car itself is a true prostreet car,and if I get tired raceing I could put a mild pumpgas motor in it(bb or sb I have headers for both)and drive it alot more on the street.

My wife and my first date was at the dragstrip, 18 years ago this July! She turned into a gearhead when we bought her first project car her senior year of highschool, a '68 cougar. Two cougars later, she could do a fair job of changing the lifters, adjust the rockers, and put up a good conversation what duration and lift were. She could even tell if a car was running a solid lifter cam by the way it sounded! When she went to college she checked out books, w/o my knowing, on internal cumbustion engines. No wonder she knew about hp and torque! She loved big cams and loud pipes. She was hell on tires too. Years later when our son was born everthing car-wise for her stopped. She took up her old passion of gardening. She gets a rose bush, I get a blower. Fair trade?? She gets(I build) a perrenial bed, I get new seats. See it works! You know that fountain and water garden? Did I hear T56?? (don't get me wrong, it's still THATDAMNCAR most of the time!) Kids will definitly change your outlook on life and prioritize your budget. You don't have to give up your car projects, but it does take LOTS longer to make additions/upgrades. I will never put my car above my family, but it is understood that it is an important part of being who I am. Put the $$ in your car while you can, (house payments, college ed. funds, remodels etc. are expensive!)THEN find someone who is understanding of your interests!

JS