HybridZ

280zx turbo failed smog. need advice to pass on retest

stravi757

Good news, I was going to say I noticed you said 'newer' plug wires, and not 'new'...

Misfires can cause hell with marginal engines, it did with mine! Checked my 'new looking' wires and was shocked to see (er..) how many failed the ohm check requirements! :blink:

I'm half surprised they passed you with the vacuum change. Does your underhood area have the vacuum diagram? If anything is re-routed or not hooked up they have the ability to fail you on visual.

Congrats on the pass. Decent numbers too. HC could still drop a touch considering the timing adjustments you made, but overall good.

Edited by Gollum

I'm half surprised they passed you with the vacuum change. Does your underhood area have the vacuum diagram? If anything is re-routed or not hooked up they have the ability to fail you on visual.

Congrats on the pass. Decent numbers too. HC could still drop a touch considering the timing adjustments you made, but overall good.

I actually would have been surprised if he noticed the vacuum change. I made them blend in very well, he would have to of been looking underneath the intake manifold to find it, and even still I really doubt he would have seen the difference.

Dang...forgot to suggest oil change but am glad to see you did it.

check to make sure your egr system is working correctly . your cat. should get to at least 500 deg. ( 750 + deg. ) at 2500 rpm . outlet should be hotter than inlet side on the cat.