HybridZ

Steering Wheel Rare?

Hello Folks,

I was trying to find some information on my steering wheel. I see the three spoke steering wheel often but they all have holes.

I think my 71 is considered the series1 because it says 240z near the rear window. My steering wheel has the indentations where the holes go but it's solid.

Is there any info on this wheel. I wanted to refurbish the wood and have it varnished and repaint the wheel black but I'm not sure if I'm going to ruin a hard to find wheel.

Thanks!

Alex

I just restored my series 1 steering wheel and it turned out great, other then i got a brush bristle stuck in the stain and so there is a little ridge at one part. It small and barely noticeable, haven't decided if im gonna go back and sand it and re stain it. I will upload a picture later so you can see how it turned out, but it really wasnt that hard.

I just restored my series 1 steering wheel and it turned out great, other then i got a brush bristle stuck in the stain and so there is a little ridge at one part. It small and barely noticeable, haven't decided if im gonna go back and sand it and re stain it. I will upload a picture later so you can see how it turned out, but it really wasnt that hard.

Awesome! Ok so our steering wheel isn't that rare after all.

It is the series one wheel, since the spokes are solid, so it is "rare" to someone doing a series one stock restoration if there's is destroyed. When they do come up for sale they really don't go for more than a series two wheel, from what I've seen. A properly restored wheel in perfect condition can bring $150-200+, and unrestored usually brings $15-40 depending on condition, again, from my observations/experience.

It is the series one wheel, since the spokes are solid, so it is "rare" to someone doing a series one stock restoration if there's is destroyed. When they do come up for sale they really don't go for more than a series two wheel, from what I've seen. A properly restored wheel in perfect condition can bring $150-200+, and unrestored usually brings $15-40 depending on condition, again, from my observations/experience.

Oh I see. I was going to swap my wheel for a Nardi wheel, but I like the look and feel of these vintage wood steering wheels. I just wanted to make sure how much I wanted to invest on restoring this wheel myself or sending it to get done if they were worth quite a bit. At 150-200 I think I'd be willing to research how to restore this wheel myself.

Thanks for info guys!

It's a pretty simple process if it is in good shape and not dried out from the weather or overworn from a lot of driving. It may look like wood, but it isn't. The actual composition has been discussed quite a bit, and from the few I've redone I'm going to agree with those who say it's a synthetic/wood blend.

The top layer sands and stains like wood, but if you get too deep it starts to behave more like plastic.

ANY three spoke Nissan Wheel is not 'rare'...

You want rare? Try the Nissan Sports Option four-spoke steering wheel.

I'll research this wheel. I've got some guy wanting to sell me a "Rare" datsun wheel but I haven't seen it. I wonder if it's the wheel you mentioned. I haven't seen his wheel and I don't know what the Nissan Sports Option four-spoke steering wheel looks like either. Time to research.

I have a 1970's real wood steering wheel made by "personal" with the Datsun horn button. I need to get it restored since it is cracking and seperating at the bottom. Good thing about it is that I got it off of a Z car at the local JY for $10 with the hub :o

I'll give you 20 bucks for it! B)