HybridZ

V-Mount radiators/intercoolers

As my topic says, I'm interested in knowing a little more about V-mount radiators and such. I'm installing a 7MGTE in my car, and my eye recently caught an article on a car with a v-mount radiator and intercooler. Unfortunately, the extent of the article was a blatant nutswing to an AE86 Corolla (I used to have one. Unimpressed.). I didn't find any pertinent information on the V-mount setup save for "omgthisissocoolcauseit'sallvmountandshiz". <_<

Thus, I'm asking: does anyone here know anything a little more helpful than the above?

Not to be a prat or anything, but who exactly is "this guy?" lol. Is that you, or someone else?

I was actually planning on building an aluminum core support, so that wouldn't be so much of an issue I think. I'm just curious how they work and what perceived benefits there are to it.

My assumption is just improved radiator flow while not having to sacrifice flow to the intercooler, if I remember right it started with drifting and wanting to get maximum cooling while traveling at slower speeds and indirect airflow when the nose of the car isn't pointing the same direction the car is going.

I might not be 100% correct, but I remember hearin that explanation years ago.

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Fixed type o

That link is showing a carbed L Series with just a tilted rad. Cool car though. To do a V mount, usually the rad would be tilted opposite to the one in the article, on a downward slant. The intercooler then is usually mounted at the top of the V and the hot air is expelled through the hood through venting. V mounting does give more room to mount a bigger intercooler without restricting air flow to your radiator. However if you run a decent rad and don't oversize your intercooler, you really shouldn't have to do a V mount. They do look cool and it would help with cooling if you are running a really hot engine. However if the air is not properly routed through the cores and vented then its just a heat sink. Rotary guys often use V mounts, Im not sure if its a style thing but Im sure it really helps with the cooling of turbo'd rotarys.

Here is an example RX7 V mount kit

kit-FC-VM-2.jpg

Excuse the dirty engine bay, but I did a Top Mount Intercooler setup on my 280z. To be honest with you, I absolutely LOVE it! The throttle response is so much better than with a regular front mount setup, due to the fact that the Intercooler piping is so short.

Picture4603.jpg?t=1301612663

Do you use any type of hood ducting to help pull air through?

Lol, it looks like the red Fairlady Z has a honda strut bar for a core support.

*EDIT*

Interestingly, I just picked up an 88 or so RX7 TurboII.

hahaha lol about the honda strut bar. I actually have two different hoods for the car. The First one was this:

zcar2.jpg?t=1301636781

My new one is the Nissan Competition hood vent:

2011-01-10_15-41-27_16-1.jpg?t=1301637104

I think this is definately going to be unique since I have never seen any Z with the competition hood vent and a G-nose front end.

Well, I think I'm going to do the core support thing. Good thing honda bars are 15 bucks B)

I'm not sure if I'll do a tilted radiator. Again, I'm still unsure of the benefits of it, aside from the fact that I could put a larger radiator in the car, but I'm hoping that I might be able to make enough room to mount an intercooler in a similar fashion.

I think this is definately going to be unique since I have never seen any Z with the competition hood vent and a G-nose front end.

Red and black car with German Plates showed up at the 94 ZCON with just such a setup.

Several others throughout the year. "Competition Hood Vent" is a nice marketing term---Nissan came up with it because they couldn't control vapor lock in street cars! LOL