HybridZ

sbc starter ...it doesnt fit JTR lets me down...

*sighs*

I drove an hour today to pick up a 153 tooth starter for my turbo350 to T5 swap.

Bring it back and guess what? Technically it does fit the frame per the JTR manual

but there is no way on earth that the giant nose of the starter is fitting in the small

2" nub of the camaro T5 bellhousing. This is starter #5 in the manual

It seems my only option is the hi torque mini ones. Just sucks when the manual is wrong..

I considered cutting the nose the starter to make it fit...bad idea? Just a thought since

I have to trash this starter anyway...

-----------------

Edit:

Does anyone think installing this is a bad idea? It fits now :D

atst8j.jpg

bdt8js.jpg

2expsg2.jpg

Edited by revlis240

just curious?

why would you use a standard O.E.M. starter when a MINI STARTER weights less gives more header clearance, and most can be indexed and many are geared to produce higher torque, now theres a dozen brands and models to select from, but the standard O.E.M. starters don,t have much going for them from what Ive seen, Ive used mini starters on 13:1 compression big blocks that lasted for years so dependability of the better brands is not an issue

sum-829100_cp.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-829100/

just curious?

why would you use a standard O.E.M. starter when a MINI STARTER weights less gives more header clearance, and most can be indexed and many are geared to produce higher torque, now theres a dozen brands and models to select from, but the standard O.E.M. starters don,t have much going for them from what Ive seen, Ive used mini starters on 13:1 compression big blocks that lasted for years so dependability of the better brands is not an issue

sum-829100_cp.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-829100/

As far as I knew those mini starters fail a lot more frequently than the direct drive oem ones. I have a totally destroyed one sitting in the parts bucket the car came with.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and fired it up, she works fine! So we'll see how long it lasts. I didnt even have to shim the starter.

Edited by revlis240

• Administrators

Anyway, I bit the bullet and fired it up, she works fine! So we'll see how long it lasts. I didnt even have to shim the starter.

I did that to a Chev. starter once. Worked perfectly for about 25K miles. Eventually parted it out. Don't know how much longer it would have lasted.

If your starter eventually wares out try a Hitachi starter gear reduction p/n PSL100. I have used Hatachi starters on two 240Z projects one ten years old and and my current daily driver for two years. No problems yet.

post-178-085933600 1301884712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

I went to NAPA and asked for an late 80's iroc-z starter. They gave me a remanufactured one for a core charge and it was not more than a $100. Works great and no shims were needed. Not to mention I get more clearance with that starter.

Edited by 240zBoy