HybridZ

evo 8 rear brakes?

soo, a friend of mine had a evo 8 that had a tire that locked up and ruined it(engine was almost untouched..?). anyways he is parting the car out and willing to sell parts to his friends first for low prices. Anyone know anything about their rear disk brakes, and maybe using them on a 78 280z for a conversion?

Calipers are one thing. In the end you'll just have to make a custom braket to get the correct verticle and horizontal offset for whatever rotors your using. Rotors are a different story. For one thing the Evolution is 5 lug, this can be remedied by doing a 5 lug conversion, but it's not cheap. Then you need to make sure the inner diameter of the hole will fit over the hub. You can machine them if you want to.

Overall there's probably a lot easier/cheaper/better solutions out there. Not only that but don't most Evolution guys upgrade their brakes if they are tracking their car? I know our cars weigh less, but something to think about.

In the end, I'd be more focused on getting that engine and figuring out how guys convert them to rwd. I know you can do some bell house swapping with some transmissions out there or something to make that 4G63t engine rwd.

Yea haha, get that engine. That would be a smarter move then the brakes if your friend is willing to give you a smoking deal on it and it's in good shape. I don't thnk anyone has put an evo engine in a Z yet, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm sure it would be a lot of work though haha.

Edited by jakeoster

I can't imagine it would be much more work than putting any other engine that doesn't already have a pre-made kit for it into these cars.

I think the transmission from a Starion or Mighty Max pickup bolts onto the thing. After that you make engine mounts and transmission mounts which any decent fabricator can do. There are standalone ecu's availible for that engine all over the damn place so you shouldn't have to worry about that either.

Really the only thing that is an unknown on this one to me is the transmission, because with that engine you can make a "bit" of power.

Oh yeah, and the Evo uses 13" rotors out back. You'd have to proportion the rears down so much to avoid locking them up all you'd be doing is adding useless unsprung weight for basically no reason.