HybridZ

rear sway bar on a 280Z with CV axles from a 280ZXT

I have been running my 280ZX turbo CV's for over a year and removed my rear sway bar because it interfered with the boots. This past weekend I wanted to re install my rear sway bar. I figured out that I could remove the spacer and get a shorter bolt. This allowed the end links to NOT interfere with the boots on the CV's but on the drivers side the sway bar will contact the A arm. I thought about notching the A arm and gusseting it solving the problem. I would like to know what you guys have don in the 280Z's using CV axles and sway bars?

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

Interesting dilemma. I've always wondered if it was possible to mount the sway bars under the LCAs (i.e. run the end links down from the LCA, vs up). It looks possible, but I've never had the need to try it. It may only be possible on a car that's significantly lowered, due to LCA angle effects.

Another solution might be the ST rear sway bar, where the chassis mounts are behind the differential.

As long as it doesn't affect LCA strength, your notching solution may be the best approach. Have you tried playing with different end link bushings? They come in a large variety of thicknesses. If you use the thick ones below the sway bar, and a thin one above the sway bar, you might achieve a little more clearance from the LCA as well as avoid rubbing the CVs.

I have a strong feeling that JohnC will speak up on this one!! Good luck with it!

As requested. Your end links are too short and will cause a bind in the rear suspension. Its usually better to go with the Suspension Techniques rear mounted anti-roll bar on a lowered S30. You can try flipping the stock bar over and mounting it under the lca as suggested above. Make the end links at least 3" front lca to the bar.