HybridZ

L28et transmission issues

Looking for some thoughts on what might be wrong...

Have a l28et with a 77 5 speed attached in my 74 260z and it all works, except it grinds going into reverse 50% of the time and tough to down shift at higher rpm.

I have already replaced clutch hose and slave cylinder.

Appreciate any help.

Never any problem going into anything but Reverse??

Maybe it's the clutch fork adjustment, if the fork is too low it may not be disengaging enough, though I'd expect grinding in other gears. Might be internal to the tranny. May be cheaper to replace than to troubleshoot. Find an 82-83 ZX tranny, they're supposed to be geared better.

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq

You don't say if it used to work or if this is a new installation. If it won't go in to reverse it's most likely a clutch problem, it's not disengaging.

When you do get it in to gear (start it with the clutch pedal down, in gear), does the clutch engage when the pedal is way down by the floor? That's a sign of hydraulic problems. Master cylinder, slave or more bleeding. I have had a slave cylinder go bad within a few months, part quality is iffy from the big parts stores. Check inside the boot on the slave for fluid.

It has been this way ever since install. Shifts into all other gears but do get a very light grind down shifting sometimes.

I have already adjusted the clutch pedal and bled the system when I put the new slave in 3 weeks ago.

My original 4 speed shifted fine into all gears, but I guess I can try the master...

You could have the wrong slave cylinder push rod. If the length is too short then it won't dis-engage the clutch properly. Also try to just adjust your clutch master cylinder. THere is a little jamnut on it. Loosen that then extend the fork outward slightly. Just make sure you don't adjust it to where your clutch is constantly slipping if you do this. I had this issue with my 240sx that had a KA24DE swap from the KA24E and the clutch pedal was all jacked up. It was very difficult to adjust the clutch to shift smooth and easy without having the clutch slipping. It sounds like a slave cylinder issue to me though. Also, when bleeding the slave. Have your pedal pusher hold the pedal down, crack the bleeder screw, unbolt the slave cylinder, push the piston back in, then bolt it back on and close the bleeder. Just make sure whoever is holding the pedal holds it the entire time. This gets the air bubbles from behind the piston.

ill give that whirl and re-bleed the slave. I didnt push the piston back in when I bled it. I have already adusted the master all the way out as when I first got this thing running it would barely shift into any gear. Maybe I will even replace the master, they are super cheap and it cant hurt. Who knows how old the one in there is.

also... shifting into reverse is never an easy task it seems with any tranny. Most of the time you need to shift to 1st then reverse to slow down the input shaft for a smooth reverse gear engagment.

to really test if your clutch is "dragging", park on flat level ground, put it in 1st and hold the clutch in all the way. with the parking brake off see if the car creep forward...

I'm honestly not sure what throwout bearing and sleeve are there... The tranny and clutch were together when I bought them and I never separated them before install. What clutch bearing and sleeve combo should I be using with 83 l28et and tranny from 77 280z?

Shiggy, I was actually incorrect to say you needed the '74 throwout collar. I got confused with all the dates because you have an '80s L28ET with a '77 tranny in a '74 Z.

If you have experienced trouble shifting since the engine and tranny were installed, the problem may be that the PO did not retain the throwout collar from the L28ET.

If you search around for threads on putting a 5 speed transmission in cars that came with 4 speed transmissions, you will, unfortunately, find a lot of confusing and conflicting information. What you need to know is that you keep the throwout collar that came with the car that you are putting a new transmission in (i.e, the collar matches with the clutch/pressure plate, not the transmission). For example, if you put a 5 speed in a '74 260Z, you use the throwout collar from the '74, not the collar that came with the 5 speed.

In your case, you want to be using the collar from the L28ET, and not the '77 five speed. However, since you did not put your engine/tranny together you don't know which collar is in there.