HybridZ

Just Say No

Trevor

WOW!!! Now I like that, takes me back to those foggy foggy days in Berzerkley, If I can remember right,(and I don't remember much) mine was the same painter, but on a Volkswagen bus. The bus ran a 356SC 3 piece case Porsche with, I think, a pair of Solex downdrafts (stock for the model/year) with a Burch bundle of snakes exhaust. Yeah the pedestrians could hear me a block away, but it was too late by the time they tied in that greeeeaaat sound with that bus. After I burned up that engine off 99 in Chowchilla (great place to break down in 1967 with that bus, that furren engine, and long hair) my next act of barbarism was to buy a Lotus version of the Ford Cortina. All white, great sound, and it too, as they say, "went up in smoke"... well hell, we all did. Those two rides sounded so great I graduated from AM radio and Hank Williams to FM radio Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane and some other female screamer with a mike in one hand and Southern Comfort in the other, backed up by Big Brother and the Holding Company. About this time I found religion laying nude in a dark room and listening to Judy Collins' "Amazing Grace" on the head phones. I levitated about 15 feet horizontally from the floor, rotated about 360 degrees, and came down a changed man and went straight into being, well.... straight! The neat thing about experiencing epiphanies is one can then reward yourself. Having discovered the true meaning of life, I then acquired, used, and abused with great gusto The Harlot: a Red, really Red as only the Italians can do, 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe . Ohhhhhhhhh, a five speed, four wheel disk power disk brakes, DOHC 1300 cc engine and a redline somewhat on the other side of 6500 or 7000 rpm. Music! But like many harlots, this one was fickle and one day she refused to come out and play with me. Yeah, I sorta like that Lincoln.

G

This would be normal where I live :P , There is a Chevy Suburban limo that has a Camper top the full length and about 20 doors on each side. I have to take a picture sometime. Otherwise if I ran a Limo service I would use that Limo in a heartbeat. B)

Two items:

RE: Limo

Lacks sufficient fun fur application to either interior or exterior to be considered truly 'chariot status'.

RE: VW Bus

Coming back to town after hiatus in the military, a youngster commented to me "Oh, you're the guy with "The Tylenol Bus" the one you can hear 1/4 mile before you see it!" Red and White, Turbo City 4BBL draw-through, and Harmon-Kardon Biamped Kraco Head Unit with Echo Box driving Kicker Kricket Speakers and a 10" Subwoofer. All in 1983...in the sticks of Michigan. Where there were many sad teenage F-Body Fans due to that bus... I still own it today in more of a 'stock' form. Probably one of two vehicles I own where I could pay someone else to do a full-on restoration and make money on the deal. The other is my 66 Bus... ;)

Two items:

RE: Limo

Lacks sufficient fun fur application to either interior or exterior to be considered truly 'chariot status'.

RE: VW Bus

Coming back to town after hiatus in the military, a youngster commented to me "Oh, you're the guy with "The Tylenol Bus" the one you can hear 1/4 mile before you see it!" Red and White, Turbo City 4BBL draw-through, and Harmon-Kardon Biamped Kraco Head Unit with Echo Box driving Kicker Kricket Speakers and a 10" Subwoofer. All in 1983...in the sticks of Michigan. Where there were many sad teenage F-Body Fans due to that bus... I still own it today in more of a 'stock' form. Probably one of two vehicles I own where I could pay someone else to do a full-on restoration and make money on the deal. The other is my 66 Bus... ;)

Michigan, you say... I'll bet you carried blankets in the front to keep the feet warm during winter: no insulation up front, and a heater tube running the length of that bus from the back to the front. Most useful vehicle I ever owned.

G

My parents are in VA, I'll see if they'll give me that to cover my next 30 bdays.

I'll go halfies on it with you but don't get angry when I start ordering pizza and hookers. Shag carpet would be all nasty after pizza. We had a car in the shop yesterday all shagged out. Most comfortable thing to be in. Then I thought about hot summer days, sweating all over it, and never being able to fully clean it. Naturally, being a limo and semi-chariot, things will get a little crazier inside compared to an ugly old Triumph TR7.

For some reason, girls don't like cheese wedges:

519158.jpg

Michigan, you say... I'll bet you carried blankets in the front to keep the feet warm during winter: no insulation up front, and a heater tube running the length of that bus from the back to the front. Most useful vehicle I ever owned.

G

Actually, I would run out at -35F stomp the gas pedal and crank that 6V starter with 12V and fire it off...

Flick the GAS HEATER SWITCH and put it on 'high' followed by another dash back into the house (usually wearing a T-Shirt and shorts...) wherein I would scarf down a bowl of Cheerios, don my pants or proper footwear, and put my down coat over my arm...

By the time I got back out, the gearbox was sufficiently warm from twisting around at fast idle for 10-15 minutes that I could get it into first and reverse...and the interior of the van was over 80F!

I would drive to work even after as little as five minutes in my T-Shirt, while others were trying to get big blocks and small blocks of all sizes warmed from -40 to even 60 degrees to try and get heat inside their car. Heck, that gas heater only cost me 2 mpg on the highway on 'high'---(25 vs 27mpg) and it was the BEST EVER ACCESSORY OFFERED for an early split-windowed bus! If you lived where it got cold, they were a godsend.

I would LAUGH at people driving their 'luxury' cars in down parkas with scraped windows because the heaters didn't work after only a five minute warm up in the driveway!

One time, we got around 38" of snow overnight. I remember that morning running out barefoot (hey, it was warm enough to snow, it wasn't THAT cold!) and doing the STOMP-CRANK-LIGHTOFF routine, and while I was eating my Cheerios that morning, watched this perfect 38" tall dome of snow on the roof part in the middle, and slough off and fall to the ground on either side of the Bus.

Coincidentally that was witnessed by my dad... Two days later a cold snap hit, and two cels on his battery froze solid and old Tony had to give dad a ride to work. The heat inside really changed his thoughts on my 'misery driving in that air cooled thing' during the winter months! And he heard no end of 'sure, dad...if your car is dead I can give you a ride to work!' :D

Yeah, that old bus changed a lot of people's minds on a lot of things!