HybridZ

Can I keep it?

Well i bought an E88 head from a member on the forum, the head has some bowl work done but looks to be unfinished on some of the chambers. Should i get a machine shop to finish whats left, get seats resurfaced and just slap it on, or get rid of it? So far all i know is the bowl is "Singh type combustion chamber" thanks to z31performance members.

Wells heres the pics let me know what you guys think and any input is welcome.

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Im going to a local machine shop and rebello to get some input later in the week, when i get time.

Methinks the Z31 Guys are huffing the lacquer again.

Those are seat-stakes and nothing more! Personally would scare the hell out of me if they think staking the exhaust seats like that will do anything material.

Singh combustion chambers aren't accomplished using a center punch in the vicinity of the exhaust valve seat!

That's a wild-arsed guess to say those are Singh Chambers...and a poor one at that! :angry:

Singh-Chambers are very distinctive, and if you google it, you will see what I'm talking about. They are not cylinderical punch marks, and nowhere near the valve seats!

Uh... yeah... "The security of the exhaust valve seats"!!!!! :blink:

Seriously, why did they feel the need to stake the seats in that fashion? Not enough heat on the head and no N2 to shrink the seats on installation---so they figure "punching them will tighten 'em up good 'nuff!"

I would have serious reservations on using that head as anything other than cutting up for porting information or other experiment. I mean, if you yanked out the valves and made sure they were installed correctly then I might use it...

But with those punch marks there... I'd wonder WTF they were trying to shortcut!

Maybe the Z31 guys are just low on oxygen - http://www.somender-singh.com/

Groovy, baby!!!!

Yeah, the Singh Combustion Chamber ( which I have posted photos of previously ) is more geared towards 'grooves' in specific locations---like along the quench-pad to combustion chamber area---than circular punch marks surrounding the exhaust valve.

Sadly I know what was happening on that head, I've seen it before. As I said, I'd not use it there are too many fish in the sea to risk that kind of 'work' failing. Short of pulling the seats and installing a new set correctly I would say the head is relegated to "shelf life and lookin' at"! ;)