HybridZ

1973 240Z Build

My Z has been a Vegas car it's whole life and I'm the third owner. It was sitting in a storage unit as project yet to be started when I picked it up. Most of the interior panels are in good shape, minimal rust, and of course 30 year old bushings.

I bought the Z because my 1978 280Z (my first car) was hit when I was in college and the unibody was destroyed. So I've named this project The Phoenix because I will be putting the 280Z drivetrain in the 240. My 280Z drivetrain consisted of a rebuilt motor, custom cold air intake, 12lb flywheel, 280zx close ratio transmission, and 3.9 R200 rear diff.

Getting it home:

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

The original window sticker, warranty card, and manual:

IMG_3125.JPG

Cleaning out the old carpet and the only rust I can find so far:

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of a project is buying new tools!

IMG_3199.JPG

P1010001_2.JPG

Removing the rear suspension and repainting it:

IMG_3198.JPG

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010001_4.JPG

My buddy came over to help so we did a quick Z/Charger picture:

P1010002_2.JPG

Leonidas put the Tokico struts and springs on for me:

P1010004_2.JPG

P1010005_2.JPG

Lately I've been stripping the old undercoating off with the needle gun. It's a slow and dirty process since I don't have the car on a rotisserie.

Picture of my first Z as it sits now

100_6636.jpg

Pictures of the 280zx turbo I picked up for $260! I don't think I'll go turbo because I want to do a 3.1 stroker using this block/head, but the turbo stuff is there if I decide to. For $260 I couldn't pass it up.

100_6634.jpg

100_6633.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stripped down my old Z last weekend and took anything off that was still useful. Had to sawzall the driver frame rail off because it was pinned against the engine from the impact.

100_0660.JPG

100_0668.JPG

100_0670.JPG

100_0672.JPG

Still prepping the bottom of the 240 for the Rustbullet paint. Almost ready!

100_0656.JPG

I'd reconsider the turbo swap. You have all the pieces there. The 3.1 is going to cost you a lot, and you may be dissapointed with it in the end.

Has your old Z allways been in Vegas too? If so, you could part out the body pieces if they are rust free. Doors, rear quarters, floor pans. You know, while you got the sawzall out 8^).

Good luck on your project!

Has your old Z allways been in Vegas too? If so, you could part out the body pieces if they are rust free. Doors, rear quarters, floor pans. You know, while you got the sawzall out 8^).

"once again good information to know YESTERDAY!" -Adam sandler quote.

I didn't even think of that :bonk: I already dropped if off at the scrapper.

WOW, There are all kinds of Z owners in Vegas now. Good Luck with everything. Let me know if you need any help.

Will do.

The rear is finally painted and ready for the suspension to be reinstalled! I clean it all off with acetone followed by Metal Blast, put the first coat of Rust Bullet on, sealed every seam that the paint didn't with silicone (let it dry), and then did a final coat.

100_0731.JPG

100_0732.JPG

100_0733.JPG

Nice! It looks great! I will be doing the same thing in hopefully the next week or two, I'm currently fighting against the factory undercoating on my 280z.

Get a needle gun as they work great.

Ok polyurehtane bushing on and rear suspension installed! :mparty: Time to start the front.

100_0736.JPG

100_0743.JPG

100_0741.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

hope you don't mind me asking . . . but what is the tool you used to remove the undercoating of the Z? I'm looking to do this myself as I want to be sure I don't have any bad rust spots on my car. I don't want to buy a compressor (i live in a condo and my garage shares a wall with my neighbor's house) but if I have to I will and just do it in sections over the course of a month or so.

(EDIT, just did a search and those things are expensive!!! $150 just for the gun?!?! You feel like selling yours after your finished? HAHA)

Edited by New-to-240z

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the turbo swap. 

I rode in a local 260 with an L28T in it and I'm going turbo for sure now.

what is the tool you used to remove the undercoating of the Z?

just did a search and those things are expensive!!! $150 just for the gun?!?!

You can get a needle gun at Harbor Freight Tools for like $30. You do need a compressor though. From what I've read it is the easiest way, but I've also read dry ice and a hammer works well.