HybridZ

Heater Fan Upgrade

Josh280z

I'm looking for a replacement for my 280zx. I again have to take off my dash to some wiring, fix the dash(because it re-cracked), and replace the watercock for the heater. I was wondering if there is a good replacement I could find for the stock 280zx heater fan. Any upgrade ideas?

Nope, they changed the blower in the ZX... It's bigger and turns the opposite direction. Which is probably a good thing thing for him - almost every other car maker uses a fan that rotates the same way the ZX blower does. Now, to find one that fits and blows harder...

(When searching for a blower for my S30, I looked at every import in the junkyard - the only ones I found that were similar in rotation to the stock Z fan were the afore mentioned Civic (of which I thought the squirrel cage was too small) and a few Kia models. I pulled my newish blower out of a Kia SUV...)

... I was wondering if there is a good replacement I could find for the stock 280zx heater fan. Any upgrade ideas?

The Z31 blower fan is a little more (10 to 15%) powerful than the 280ZX (S130) fan. You could try it. I think the outside diameter of the Z31 blade assembly (plastic squirrel cage) is a little larger so check your clearances.

I am using the 280ZX (S130) blower fan in my 260Z (S30). Yes, the 280ZX fan turns in the opposite direction of the S30 blower fan, but because it’s a permanent magnet DC motor all you have to do is to reverse the power leads and it will rotate in the opposite direction.

Edited by zcarnut

Ha ok, I'll see what I can do about a z31 blower motor thanks a bunch.

"I am using the 280ZX (S130) blower fan in my 260Z (S30). Yes, the 280ZX fan turns in the opposite direction of the S30 blower fan, but because it’s a permanent magnet DC motor all you have to do is to reverse the power leads and it will rotate in the opposite direction. "

I was thinking that that was possible, but wasn't quite sure.

So if that is true, I could use a camaro blower fan as stated here

Edited by Josh280z