HybridZ

Rota RB-R 17x9.5 on all 4, how large of tires will fit?

If you're trying to have all the tires the same, then I've seen 275/45/17 all around. Look at pictures of FlatBlack's Z, however I'll warn you that just about every tire size you choose will rub the front valence or air dam with a 17x9.5. Either you try to run a stretch on the front and adjust caster, or you have to cut the valence/air dam.

If you're trying to have all the tires the same, then I've seen 275/45/17 all around. Look at pictures of FlatBlack's Z, however I'll warn you that just about every tire size you choose will rub the front valence or air dam with a 17x9.5. Either you try to run a stretch on the front and adjust caster, or you have to cut the valence/air dam.

So i searched FlatBlack, and his wheels are NOT the 9.5" wide. They only look like rota RB's to me actually. I have only seen a couple cars with the big dish all around. I pm'd Slammed68, but i'm not sure his are all 9.5"... Ugh i'd like an answer from someone with them on a 280z before i order tires that wont fit.. <_<

I am running what you are with 275 hankook spec r. I had to back off castor to almost stock, trim down about 6mm from the front and back of the zg flares, and cut about 20mm or so out of the air dam. I can take some pics of how it is now when I get home of you'd like. I didnt trim enough initially and bent the he'll out of my driver's side guard. Ah well. :) few pics in the build thread in my signature, but not any that'll be much use to you I think.

Dave

I have a highly modified suspension, set up for track use and sticky tires. The car is NOT slammed low. I have lots of caster and neg camber. I have cut the fenders and installed regular ZG flares. I had to cut the airdam/valence. I can only run 245,40,17 tires with those wheels. I have purchased wider flares and will see what tires will fit after that.

Edited by bjhines

Yeah... def bought 4 17x9.5s for my car, I hate the staggered look.

Check out Ness's LS3 build - he had 255s on 17x9.5 RB-Rs and they looked like sh*t, super stretched. He took them off it was so bad.

Pretty sure sticky280ZX likes the herraflush look, so anything over a 225 on a 9.5 is going to not looked stretched to him lol

*edit* found the picture

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/80157-ls3-build-thread-z-vette/page__st__60

IMAG0235.jpg

If you want a small tire, why not just buy a 8" wide rim?

Edited by FlatBlack

BJ has a pic of his 245's on the 9.5" RB-R here: http://forums.hybrid...post__p__903475

I think that looks fine... I might end up trying 255 in the front if the 275's on there now just flat don't fit. Flatblack wasn't running any kind of welting, so he ended up trimming the flares to make up for that 3-4mm. I'm thinking with the welting they MIGHT squeeze in there.

You look to have plenty of room BJ, why do you say it won't fit over 245?

Edited by TrumpetRhapsody

I've only got 16X8 RBRs with 225/50/16s and they rubbed my MSA urethane airdam, so I had to pull back my caster some. With wheels 9.5 wide, if you hope to approximate JohnC's alignment recommendations, I would wait to cut sheetmetal and install any ZG flares until after you have your whole suspension mocked up with the wheels and tires installed. Then, just cut as needed (making sure to steer wheels back and forth and watch for angle that allows least clearance), then install flares. My buddy just did the ZG flare conversion only to find that he should have trimmed his airdam and mounted the flares farther forward to avoid rubbing. Now he has all those screw holes to fill-major pain! Now, he says he wants even wider tires-his fenders are going to look like swiss cheese! If you push the flare far enough forward to do the job, you might find a conflict with your side-marker light, then you'll need to fill that hole and move it either forward or up, or just ditch it altogether. The front of the front fender gets crowded in a hurry. Wheel width is really a matter of when you want the madness to stop. It is all for looks, anyway (which I can certainly appreciate) because how your car hooks up has as much to do with tire compound as it does with size. We have a couple of used tire stores in the area-could you pay such a place to trial mount a couple of different size tires for you (let them know you'll pay for the labor)? I have found that trial and error is the only way to get the tires you want, and that can get pretty expensive if you are actually buying NEW tires every time. I looked at that video-that car is sprung so high up that you could have put tires infinitely wider on it and not had it rub (at least in the front). If you want clearance for big hoops, you can always jack the car up in the air, then you won't scrub the fenders and the sky is the limit! According to Jegs/BFG fitment recommendations, 255-275 is your tire size range for an 8.5 to 11 inch wheel.

Edited by RebekahsZ

My 245 wide tires hit the flares at the outer most lip. I need wider flares.

SO since i'm planning on doing 275 tires, I should probably look into a wider than regular zg flare solution? This is near the bottom of the list however, as there are much more important (powertrain) challenges.

That must be a mistake. I have 245 on a 9.5 and it looks more like his front tire.

Correct, his are 235's

Yea i went with a streatch on the tires because i wanted to see if i can fit them in with out fender flares for now. The wheels are Rota RBR 17x9.5 in the back and 17x9 in the front with 235x45x17 in the back and 225x45x17 in the front. Rears still stick out but fronts are perfectly flush with the fender. Ill get better pics as soon as can.

This is what a 255/40r17 on a 17x10 looks like... Barely any stretch.

post-889-047717800 1329799099_thumb.jpg

post-889-018770800 1329799111_thumb.jpg