HybridZ

Crate engine?

cpt jack

Good morning everyone. Well i have a simple question. Does anyone know of any shops or people that make crate L28 engines? I that know Rebello does but, I am not looking to spend 10k on an engine. The car is a weekend joy ride kind of car, so simple rebuild is what i had in mind. I live in Hawaii, but my z is in vegas (home town) at my friends house. I have been wanting to ship it out to my duty station but can't do that since it does not drive at the moment. Any input would be appreciated, thank you for your input.

Dont do Datsun parts LLC. Nissan can still rebuild them

I was quoted at 3k for a full motorswap several years ago.

As for rebello I'm sure hr can do a basic rebuild. If also ask braap. Possibly a shop that is in Glendale ca (sunrise Z) will do one.

I have read mixed reviews... some people say good some people say not good. SunriseZ is that a company or a user name? Braap does he do motor builds? My buddy can drop engines in, but he can't rebuild. If i was in vegas i would be rebuilding it myself lol. Any other recommendations would be awesome gang! Also any personal horror or good stories from Datsun Parts LLC.

I have read mixed reviews... some people say good some people say not good. SunriseZ is that a company or a user name? Braap does he do motor builds? My buddy can drop engines in, but he can't rebuild. If i was in vegas i would be rebuilding it myself lol. Any other recommendations would be awesome gang! Also any personal horror or good stories from Datsun Parts LLC.

I read up some on the Datsun Parts person too.  It seems like you'd get a motor with some new and some reused parts.  Probably a step up from a random JY motor, but don't buy one expecting to be able to beat on it like it's a performance motor and have it last.  Since their prices aren't too bad, it might be a good way to get a core for a future quality rebuild.

I think BRAAP is in the Pacific NW.

There are also Datsun Spirit and Sunbelt over toward the East coast as options for reputable builders.

Edited by Chris83zxt

Personal horror story about datsun parts LLC.

My friend bought a "freshly machined head" from them. Came with part of the gasket and a lot of sludge and dirt still on the mating surface and in the passages.

Sunrise Z is the name of the shop in Glandale CA, Art Rinner is the man that runs it, He has an account but it's easier to call. You should just be able to google them.

Contact http://www.myaeroauto.com/, formerly Zwhiz in San Diego and ask for Mark Allen to see if he can rebuild it on his own. He is the man when it comes to all things Datsun/Nissan and well connected with Jim Wolf technology. He used to own his own shop in Lemon Grove, CA called "Dad's Garage", and will be the one I go back to help build my L28et.

With datsun parts, I had quite a few problems which is documented in other parts here. He doesnt build them, he resells them from R Rated Motorsports. If you have problems, your looking at freight shipping 300$ each way as he is going to want it back to do 'warranty work'. If I were you I would try to find someone local who knows how to work on those engines if you cant yourself. I would start with your local Z car club, and or reaching out to the dealer who may know something in your area.