#81 ryant67

ryant67

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yeah, I asked around a fair bit and the two shops I am choosing between this time are the real deal.  After the headache last time I wasn't taking any chances - I'm still sore about the work they did, and their terrible attitude.  

I've actually been toying with just having the whole car repainted while these guys are at it.  I could make it easy for them my removing the fenders, hood, cowl, hatch, lights, weatherstripping, etc, then just put it all back together myself afterwards.  The prep work on the rest of the car probably wouldn't be too labour intensive, so maybe I'd be looking at an extra $3-4k.  I'm not sure it's worth it though, and I'm not exactly flush with cash.  

#82 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree with what Madkaw said. I've read on here that the rear panel available is apparently flat side to side, while the original is curved. No good. Your rear panel isn't that bad anyway. I would think a decent body guy could hammer that out, and custom make whatever is needed for the exhaust cutout.

Is blending the new paint with the old an option vs repainting the whole rear end? I wouldn't think it would be too hard with your color. But then again, I know nothing about painting.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#83 ryant67

ryant67

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hard to tell if it's curved or not from the pic. I'll probably check with Charlie (business owner) and find out. But yeah, worst case scenario is that the existing panel is salvageable.

http://www.datsunzpa...m/products.html

Attached Files

#84 ryant67

ryant67

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 2 weeks ago

Things are working through with insurance, and the body shop I'll be using seems game for me to do as much prep as possible and give me a good price on painting the rest of the car while they are at it.  We'll see how things pan out, but fingers crossed.  The plan is basically for me to remove all the lights, trim, bumpers, windows, etc, and then tow the car up to them and drop off all the loose panels fenders, air dam, etc.  Then they can easily do the prep work on the loose panels, then hang and paint them.  The body paint is pretty much limited to the roof and rear quarters, which would be required by the repair, and thus covered under insurance.  

In other news, my fuel pump crapped out today.  The Holley Red pump I put in when I bought the car lasted me a little under 5 years - to be expected I suppose, since it's dead headed at the carbs.  Hoping I can easily source another one locally and be up and running asap.  Worst case scenario, I just grab one off Amazon or Summit and pay for the 2 day shipping.  

I'll be heading to the Armdrop Drag Racing event in Picton, Ontario next weekend, weather permitting.  They'll have a dyno there on-site, so I might throw the car on and see how it performs - be nice to have a baseline before I do my head and camshaft swap :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users