HybridZ

Rust Repair Opinions

Hi all new member here. I've been browsing all the build threads lots of good info on this site.

I'm in the market for a Z car that I can restore, obviously I would like to purchase a car with the a minimal amount of rust. I'm planning on doing the restoration work myself .

I found a 1 owner 78' 280Z that has a very clean interior, it's not currently running but I'm not concerned about that.

What is you opinion on the rust? I think the undercarriage looks clean, no rust around the gas door and the battery box looks clean. The rust on the fenders is really bad though.

I was considering using patch panels. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic02o03c

All opinions are welcome,

Thanks,

post-53042-0-98840500-1469800637_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-57641100-1469800641_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-05202000-1469800647_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-92082700-1469800650_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-65083200-1469800653_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-01884000-1469800658_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-79564500-1469800660_thumb.jpg

post-53042-0-32284900-1469800663_thumb.jpg

The rust you see is rarely if ever the full extent of it. Expect to find more, possibly a lot more. If you want to get a car with as little rust as possible, I'd avoid that one. Your best bet may be getting a car from a dry state. That's what I'd do if I did it all over again.

Of course, if it's cheap enough, you may as well give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out, then you've got yourself a parts car.

Agreed, usually when you find 4 or 5 out of the 9-10 spots that usually rust out that far gone, the other 4 to 5 spots are not far behind. 

How do you know the floors are good? You didn't take any pictures. and the inside usually has a layer of sound deadening so looking at it from the top won't do.

You are going to have to find or be a competent welder for the repairs, side panels, dog legs, fenders, hood, that's just the beginning really.

You are a new member here and it is advisable to make a new member post in the new member section so we can learn how much you know, your experience, your expectations. 

Looks worse than mine did, and I just from that I can assure you that thing is gonna be a nightmare. Not saying it wouldn't necessarily be worth it, I bought me car in okay shape with a running engine for dirt cheap, but I knew it was going to be a long term project that I would be learning from.

The rear lower quarter panels look roasted, and the doglegs will have more than what you see at first glance (as with the rest of the car).

If you're half decent with welding and have patience it's not too bad, but if you're looking for something with minimal rust you're miles ahead starting with a different car. Granted.... there are many Z's out there that look restored but are just covered in bondo.

Looks worse than mine was, and I was upward of about 35-40 different patch panels on my car. If the rear quarter is that bad, so are the floors. The rust behind the front fenders has probably pushed through to the rockers on that end, etc. If it were an earlier car, I'd say go for it, but a 78... Eh, keep looking.