Help purchasing a 78 280z

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samdyoung

samdyoung
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hey all,

I am new to hybridz and I was looking to get some help from those more experienced than I. I have not owned any z cars before, but I love the styling and am looking to purchase one. I hope I am not breaking any rules with this post which I have overlooked or that I do not otherwise know. I do not have a huge budget, however I do have a second car, which I will be able to drive when the z is not working (at least for the time being) so the car doesn't have to be perfect and I will make improvements over time. So with this said, I was wondering if this posting was a good deal or not. Thank you all for any insights you may have. Ps, I do not intend to turn this into a garage queen showcar, rather I plan to drive it as daily as possible.

https://chicago.crai...6081564954.html

This is the link to the posting.

#2 NewZed

NewZed
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Chicago salts their roads.  Even though the seller only drives it in the summer, the rust is a big warning sign.  If you can travel to pick up a car, consider checking other states, more southern or out where they use gravel, not salt.  There's a nice 78 in Kansas, talked about on classiczcars.com

#3 samdyoung

samdyoung
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

Thank you NewZed, I am not opposed to travel, I will look farther out from where I am, at cars in Kansas and such.

#4 rturbo 930

rturbo 930
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Even California cars can have rust. His location is a reason to be suspicious, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. That said, I don't think I'd pay $4500 for a 280Z with any amount of rust. Or maybe I am out of touch with the market.

FYI, My dad's 68 Charger has been driven in salt, and I don't believe it has ever left the area (NJ and MA), but it has very little rust, and has been in dry storage since about 1980-1985. If the car was taken care of, it may be in great shape, regardless of the fact it's a Chicago car.

Find out how long this guy has owned it though. He may not have driven it during winter, but previous owners might have.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#5 Mayolives

Mayolives
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Best listen to the advice pertaining to rust issues.  Find a Z with as little rust as you can.  They are out there!   Take your time.  Read as much here on this site and get a good understanding about these cars and you will be able to make a smarter purchase when you are ready.  Welcome aboard newbie!  

Driving Fast...........
What does it take to make a fast car go faster?
Anyone with a strong right foot can do it. Most likely, in the instant before the car crashes, it will be going quite fast. There is more to driving than FAST. Getting around a course QUICKLY requires talent. It means pushing a car to its very limit—and sometimes beyond —while avoiding the crash, the spin, the bobble that nixes the entire effort. This is ART.(unknown author )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users