HybridZ

Help purchasing a 78 280z

samdyoung

Hey all,

I am new to hybridz and I was looking to get some help from those more experienced than I. I have not owned any z cars before, but I love the styling and am looking to purchase one. I hope I am not breaking any rules with this post which I have overlooked or that I do not otherwise know. I do not have a huge budget, however I do have a second car, which I will be able to drive when the z is not working (at least for the time being) so the car doesn't have to be perfect and I will make improvements over time. So with this said, I was wondering if this posting was a good deal or not. Thank you all for any insights you may have. Ps, I do not intend to turn this into a garage queen showcar, rather I plan to drive it as daily as possible.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/6081564954.html

This is the link to the posting.

Chicago salts their roads.  Even though the seller only drives it in the summer, the rust is a big warning sign.  If you can travel to pick up a car, consider checking other states, more southern or out where they use gravel, not salt.  There's a nice 78 in Kansas, talked about on classiczcars.com

Even California cars can have rust. His location is a reason to be suspicious, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. That said, I don't think I'd pay $4500 for a 280Z with any amount of rust. Or maybe I am out of touch with the market.

FYI, My dad's 68 Charger has been driven in salt, and I don't believe it has ever left the area (NJ and MA), but it has very little rust, and has been in dry storage since about 1980-1985. If the car was taken care of, it may be in great shape, regardless of the fact it's a Chicago car.

Find out how long this guy has owned it though. He may not have driven it during winter, but previous owners might have.

Best listen to the advice pertaining to rust issues.  Find a Z with as little rust as you can.  They are out there!   Take your time.  Read as much here on this site and get a good understanding about these cars and you will be able to make a smarter purchase when you are ready.  Welcome aboard newbie!