HybridZ

how bad is wiring the V8 if you use painless wiring harness

Guest 2002sentraSER

I did my own wiring when I swapped the V-8 into my 1972 510. I am not an engineer type. It was not hard. There are only like 10 wires that go to the motor if you are not going with fuel injection. If you use an alternator with internal regulator you can get rid of a bunch of wires too. I read the JTR manual and it is very straight forward. It tells you which wires to remove and what goes where.

Don't be afraid to try it yourself. If you can read a manual and take your time you can do it.

If I can do it anyone can.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

What's that book you had? "How to wire your hotrod" ? That may be of some help for people contemplating this. The kit WAS painless for me though, just expensive. All in all, spending $20 on a book to help you decide whether you can do it is a good idea. The JTR book won't tell you anything.

Owen

Does anyone have a source for better electronic schematics? In the Haynes Manual, the diagrams for the 260 are so small that you can't read anything.

Call the help line at Painless. To their credit, they faxed me a schematic for the Z combo switch with which wires went where. It was all blown up and really helped this part of the install. I'm not even sure if they had it on file. I think they just filled out where the wires went on the diagram out of the goodness of their hearts.

Guest 2002sentraSER

how much is the kit out of curiousity because if it is self explainitory then that is good plus wiring if the reason my original datsun motor did not run

383 240z,

I sent you 4 emails with sections (scans) of an original electrical schematic for a 260Z. This came from the official Datsun repair manual - 30 year old book. I also enlarged the combo switch to show all the pinouts. All are very legible and are 1000 times better than the Hanes book.

Hope this helps,

Danno74Z

Guest woodyhooten

Danno,

Could you post the 4 parts (of the electrical schematic) on HybridZ? If not, could you email them to me? This would be very helpful, thanks.

Woody

Thanks Danno. I did print the version painless sent to me, but it just showed the wires coming out of a block that represented the combo switch. On top of that, the info that the Painless tech guy seemed to be very........ OFF. I got started early sat morning and started turing levers and knobs on the combo switch and figure out just about all of the wires. Sorted through the Painless kit about 3 times and then started hooking stuff up. Finally finised last all the combo stuff last night. Don't have any thing else hooked up as of yet but when I do and prove out my set up, I will create and post a detailed dwg of my efforts. I can not say how long this will take though, hopefully a couple of weeks. Time will tell.

• 3 months later...

I still need to create you all a painless to z diagram. It may only work with the 260's cause I am not sure how similar each year is to eachother. Anyway all my accesories worked when I hooked the batt charger to the sys, that was a milestone. Will try to remember to make that dwg...

I'm with Tim and Mike....except I have an IQ of a snail. I have used Painless kits on a number of vehicles, to include my Z. If you just have a few non-working parts, get the wiring diagram for the Z and figure it out. If you have to start from scratch, the Painless wiring harnesses are well built and the directions are understandable. Not for an impatient person but not rocket science either.

Heck, I keep cutting the wires and they're STILL too short...go figger! :roll:

Guest Vince
I still need to create you all a painless to z diagram. It may only work with the 260's cause I am not sure how similar each year is to eachother. Anyway all my accesories worked when I hooked the batt charger to the sys, that was a milestone. Will try to remember to make that dwg...

I will be anxiously awaiting your diagram, as i also have a 260 and a painless kit. :D I've been putting it off for a while now, hopefully with a diagram i'll be more willing to do it.

Guest woodyhooten
I still need to create you all a painless to z diagram. It may only work with the 260's cause I am not sure how similar each year is to eachother. Anyway all my accesories worked when I hooked the batt charger to the sys' date=' that was a milestone. Will try to remember to make that dwg...[/quote']

I will be anxiously awaiting your diagram, as i also have a 260 and a painless kit. :D I've been putting it off for a while now, hopefully with a diagram i'll be more willing to do it.

boy howdy, same boat here... :oops:

I just finished my conversion LT1 T56 -> 240z and I stuck with the stock GM harness which was carefully removed with the engine from the donor. I was intimidated at first (despite being an engineer) but if you just do one thing at a time you are done before you know it. A benefit is much less work and everything up to the connector that hooks to the z can be looked up is a stock camaro manual in my case. As for the painless stuff, it is nice to get the package, but I did look up all the individual components and you can replicate what they did quite easily. A good source I found was http://www.waytekwire.com along with the normal electronics suppliers on the web.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest canabob

If you're still looking for legible wiring diagrams, autozone.com has service manuals online for many different cars. I don't know if it's the actual Datsun service manual or not, but the info there is much better than the Haynes manual I have, especially the wiring diagrams.

To find the service manuals, on the autozone home page, select "repair info", then "vehicle repair guides".

Hope this helps,

Bob