HybridZ

Turbo

Use this site and the search button to find out how to put one together, I have done a very popular HY-35 setup and there are many more to choose from. These cars have so much room to work with there is no need to not do it your self. I think it's easy enough you could prob not make money on a "kit" if you sold many of them. Welcome and don't get burnt by asking the same questions that have been asked hundreds of times.....Use the search function.. Good luck

no offense, but you are begging to be flamed on this.

We are a very technical board here (I say we because the grownups are kind enough to let me play) and i suggest you read the stickies in the FAQ section, (expecially hyperlinked table of contents) the L6 section, and maybe even the Turbo and the Fuel Delivery sections further down in the forum.

This "s30 model specific" forum is relatively new, and isnt going to get much technical traffic anyhow.

As a new guy myself, I understand a bit of the frustration. You all say "swap" or "search", but when you search, you see a mountain of threads that say the same thing! This vehicle is obviously older and many of the forums have years and years of threads piled up where the people talking already knew the basics. It can be hard to find a thread that actually explains some of this if it isn't in an FAQ or sticky. I suggest you search the FAQ's and see if anyone tells you what's possible and how to do it on turbo'ing an L42 block (and not just going to a pick and pull for an F54, etc.). That isn't always an option for everyone and it isn't getting any easier as people hoard blocks, parts cars, etc. I don't mean to come across harsh, but I have become a respected "veteran" of at least half a dozen different types of cars and some of the forums for older cars had the same issue. Many of the veterans didn't realize just how old the threads were that ACTUALLY had the info and not just the "use the search button" response.

There is a lot that can be found using the search and I have been mining that resource, but there are lots of useless threads that seem promising and they all end up with the "search" response. Of course there are lazy people and they need that answer, but I couldn't find much on turbo'ing the non-turbo block myself either. Please don't :flamedevi me because I am NOT trying to :cuss:. :-)

Mine started out being a Non turbo motor....if it's a later model l28 it will have dished pistons which will work....get a fuel management system, injectors, turbo, exhaust manifold, 240sx throttle body and you too can run 20psi like me lol....You will find all this in those old threads...people just dont care about answering the same old questions...they dont mind answering the specific ones...Do alot of reading before you start asking, it is nearly "All" here thanks to the very wise HYBRIDZ members...Good luck

Mine started out being a Non turbo motor....if it's a later model l28 it will have dished pistons which will work....get a fuel management system, injectors, turbo, exhaust manifold, 240sx throttle body and you too can run 20psi like me lol....You will find all this in those old threads...people just dont care about answering the same old questions...they dont mind answering the specific ones...Do alot of reading before you start asking, it is nearly "All" here thanks to the very wise HYBRIDZ members...Good luck

So the ports on a round port head from a later N/A (N47 head) match up with the exhaust manifold from a turbo 81 ~ 83 280ZX?

• Administrators
So the ports on a round port head from a later N/A (N47 head) match up with the exhaust manifold from a turbo 81 ~ 83 280ZX?

Yes they do.

We regularly use square port headers on round port heads on N/A builds. We use a Victor Reinz intake/exhaust manifold gasket for the ’75-’76 280 Z. the Exhaust port is surrounded by sheet metal, just like the fire ring in a head gasket. Just be sure to face the wide steel surface against the round port of the head. As you can see in the picture below, this gasket came off just such a project, round port head, square port manifold. The inner exhaust liner dumps into the square opening with nothing covering it, i.e. unrestricted flow.

Gask2Medium.jpg

Gask1Medium.jpg

Ah thank you! Just what I was looking for. Now I need to hunt down a manifold (mercilessly) and beat it into submission with a T3/T4 and a Megasquirt! :-)

Yes they do.

We regularly use square port headers on round port heads on N/A builds. We use a Victor Reinz intake/exhaust manifold gasket for the ’75-’76 280 Z. the Exhaust port is surrounded by sheet metal, just like the fire ring in a head gasket. Just be sure to face the wide steel surface against the round port of the head. As you can see in the picture below, this gasket came off just such a project, round port head, square port manifold. The inner exhaust liner dumps into the square opening with nothing covering it, i.e. unrestricted flow.

Gask2Medium.jpg

Gask1Medium.jpg

As a new guy myself, I understand a bit of the frustration. You all say "swap" or "search", but when you search, you see a mountain of threads that say the same thing!

The best explanation that I can give you is this.

The six cylinder L engine went through a great many changes and permutations; both factory initialized and as a product of the collective experience of ZedHeads around the world. Many things have been discovered about this very multi-dimensional engine, regarding pistons size, shape, pin height, connecting rod length, weight, size, material, crankshaft throw, rod/stroke ratio, etc etc. And THAT is just the SHORTBLOCK. The heads have about eight or nine different castings (the major ones at least) that all have their own combustion chambers (some castings share similar chambers) some have different valve heights, some have different port shapes, and some have different valve and port SIZES. Then you start throwing cams into the picture, and you are ALMOST through with your longblock. You still have the distributor/ignition system to figure out, and probably a turbo oil pump for a performance motor.

So, that is a decent list of all the complex dimensions (not options, DIMENSIONS.. IE, this is a seventeen dimensional discussion already) just contained within the longblock. You havent even decided whether you want carburettors or FI yet, turbo or non, stock EFI or standalone, etc etc. Once you start throwing these factors into the equation, along with what intake tract to use and how to get those gasses out of there, the complexity of the subject is huge.

That being the case, to say, "There is no end-all, be-all for an L engine; you have to educate yourself thoroughly and decide what you want or you are likely to spend a good chunk of change and NOT get the return that others with more patience get with half as much money." is a GROSS GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT.

I know next to nothing about these things. Honest. I am just a monkey here in the big house learning how to play with the rest of you. BUT, if you check my sig, you see my opinion on what it takes to know what you are doing. The only way to answer these questions is to read many many threads here on hybridZ.. None of us are here to nursemaid anyone else. This forum started as a group of knowledgable people, exhanging ideas and helping each other on a level that we newbs and little people cannot fathom. Those maestros, those with true afficion are kind enough to allow "the rest of us" to leech off of their knowledge for free. The price we must pay is one of time; either time spent poring through the archives for your education, or time spent idly reading the forum sponging it all up as it goes. Since my car is out of commission for the predictable future, I have the luxury of time to afford the second option. Its working great, I learn more about my Datsun every day. If you don;t have the time to spend a year or two here reading other peoples problems as they come up and get resolved, then your option is to hack through the archives, educate yourself to the point where you can ask informed questions, and make posts with informed questions.

I totally understood your post; I am not badgering at all, just trying to give an answer from someone of maybe about the same knowledge level, who has spent a bit of time here and sees how things go on. I am trying to answer as level-headed and rationally as you posed your question.

If you want some advice, make a bookamrk folder just for hybridZ threads. maybe sub folders to classify your bookmarks. Bookmark interesting threads; its amazing how much you learn by coming back and re reading something six or eight months down the road.

Long story short, if (like me) you aren't a professional engine builder, you need to read alot here whatever you do. No one has the time to lay it all out any more thoroughly than has been done in the past. The FAQs and write ups here all represent efforts by individuals, and the sum of that effort is this entire forum. the Archives are the biggest part of that, so when you ignore them you may as well be ignoring everyone here.

Thank you for the sage advice. I am totally with you on that. The fact of the matter is, I have been one of the 'elders' so to speak on quite a few forums before; sometimes it's hard to find info to get going. Once I am rolling, it is much easier to seek out information on the specific things I run across as I move forward.

In the vein of specific questions, then. I will tell you that I have an N42/N47 setup with dished pistons, etc. I already have a Megasquirt II 3.0 on the way and I am searching through their forums to learn about 36-1 wheels and the EDIS system as it pertains to the L28. I found a turbo manifold and I am searching for the right HX35 or preferably HY35 to feed it. The rest of piping and all that crap I can certainly fab up myself. The big question is, what can the block and crank withstand? Who is making SERIOUS power? I know 2.8L should be able to belt out 500 whp or more on 93 octane pump providing the headwork is there, etc. I am concerned that perhaps this platform isn't capable of supporting this reliably. Maybe too few feel that is NOT too much for a street car. I personally find it's easy to dial boost down for certain situations.

Thanks for everyone's patience and understanding with the 'noobs'.

Mark

The best explanation that I can give you is this.

The six cylinder L engine went through a great many changes and permutations; both factory initialized and as a product of the collective experience of ZedHeads around the world. Many things have been discovered about this very multi-dimensional engine, regarding pistons size, shape, pin height, connecting rod length, weight, size, material, crankshaft throw, rod/stroke ratio, etc etc. And THAT is just the SHORTBLOCK. The heads have about eight or nine different castings (the major ones at least) that all have their own combustion chambers (some castings share similar chambers) some have different valve heights, some have different port shapes, and some have different valve and port SIZES. Then you start throwing cams into the picture, and you are ALMOST through with your longblock. You still have the distributor/ignition system to figure out, and probably a turbo oil pump for a performance motor.

So, that is a decent list of all the complex dimensions (not options, DIMENSIONS.. IE, this is a seventeen dimensional discussion already) just contained within the longblock. You havent even decided whether you want carburettors or FI yet, turbo or non, stock EFI or standalone, etc etc. Once you start throwing these factors into the equation, along with what intake tract to use and how to get those gasses out of there, the complexity of the subject is huge.

That being the case, to say, "There is no end-all, be-all for an L engine; you have to educate yourself thoroughly and decide what you want or you are likely to spend a good chunk of change and NOT get the return that others with more patience get with half as much money." is a GROSS GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT.

I know next to nothing about these things. Honest. I am just a monkey here in the big house learning how to play with the rest of you. BUT, if you check my sig, you see my opinion on what it takes to know what you are doing. The only way to answer these questions is to read many many threads here on hybridZ.. None of us are here to nursemaid anyone else. This forum started as a group of knowledgable people, exhanging ideas and helping each other on a level that we newbs and little people cannot fathom. Those maestros, those with true afficion are kind enough to allow "the rest of us" to leech off of their knowledge for free. The price we must pay is one of time; either time spent poring through the archives for your education, or time spent idly reading the forum sponging it all up as it goes. Since my car is out of commission for the predictable future, I have the luxury of time to afford the second option. Its working great, I learn more about my Datsun every day. If you don;t have the time to spend a year or two here reading other peoples problems as they come up and get resolved, then your option is to hack through the archives, educate yourself to the point where you can ask informed questions, and make posts with informed questions.

I totally understood your post; I am not badgering at all, just trying to give an answer from someone of maybe about the same knowledge level, who has spent a bit of time here and sees how things go on. I am trying to answer as level-headed and rationally as you posed your question.

If you want some advice, make a bookamrk folder just for hybridZ threads. maybe sub folders to classify your bookmarks. Bookmark interesting threads; its amazing how much you learn by coming back and re reading something six or eight months down the road.

Long story short, if (like me) you aren't a professional engine builder, you need to read alot here whatever you do. No one has the time to lay it all out any more thoroughly than has been done in the past. The FAQs and write ups here all represent efforts by individuals, and the sum of that effort is this entire forum. the Archives are the biggest part of that, so when you ignore them you may as well be ignoring everyone here.

Thank you for the sage advice. I am totally with you on that. The fact of the matter is, I have been one of the 'elders' so to speak on quite a few forums before; sometimes it's hard to find info to get going. Once I am rolling, it is much easier to seek out information on the specific things I run across as I move forward.

Word, someone called me a Sage!!! That is the best name I have been called in a pig's age, thanks.

I also might suggest you try a new thread for your own specific questions :rolleyesg It helps get better results.

Also, do not go assuming that because others have built 500+ hp L28s, that yours will be able to hit that mark. 500 horse is a VERY MAGIC number for the L-6; 600 has been achieved.. but it takes TOP NOTCH work to reach that mark. Think about it like this.. in the almost 40 years that the L series has been around.. through the countless race efforts, and personal project cars.. only very very recently have people actually accomplished 500 HP. it was just earlier this year that the first (to MY knowledge) 600 horse dyno sheet was announced.

400 is the number to just drop casually.. 500 is SERIOUS SERIOUS power that may well take race fuel only (allowing you to run more compression, more timing) to achieve on 2.8 liters.