HybridZ

Home built tubing bender

G.I.jonas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can minimize the amount of indentation from the die, by packing the pipe with sand, in like a canvas bag or something.

You don't need to do this with the type of bender shown. No, it's not a mandrel bender. Yes it will make smooth bends. It's not really a "crush" bender either. That's the kind Harbor Freight sells which basically jacks a die into the middle of a tube. I don't know if there is a proper name for this type of bender, but the difference is that it WRAPS the tube around the die instead of pushing the die into the side of the tube.

I tried to save money with the HF bender and it didn't work for me: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100106&page=2

That is the bender that would have been helped by packing the tube with sand, I just didn't want to spend all the time to do that on every tube I needed to bend. Plus it makes them a lot harder to bend when they're packed.

• 2 months later...

Well i finally finished a project:mrgreen::mrgreen:.

Ok so its not painted yet and i dont have the approriate ram or the thompson shafts yet but its basically done.:icon56:

Very sweet i must say very happy with the design and blueprints for the bender - definately the best $18.00 ive ever spent.Entire project probably cost me about $300.00+-.Try to find a hydraulic bender for $318.00 that fits in a shop corner,bends 2" tube and is tig welded.Now to get some dies and try it out.

ft1.jpg

ft4.jpg

ft5.jpg

Gijonas: You should post about your suby here. Maybe put a thread in the "other projects" section. :-D

I'm going to build a lifted suby one day...been into them for years but just can't use another project right now... :-P

Well that was basically the plan with the website(whivh needs me to work on!!) so people could check it out.

Oh yea and money is not an excuse for not building one,my car cost me $1000 start to finish including car and super swampers!!!.Of course i did get lucky with a free loyale,but they can be had in decent shape for pennies,especially if you live in the south.

Not really sure what would limiting,except maybe if you had a large tube with multiple bends requiring the bender to be up higher so that the tube isnt on the ground.Not sure if you know what i mean but i think that is the only limitation,even then you just need to get it higher.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the ProTools 105 and am going to do a hydro conversion soon, but their mechanical benders are cool.

This is the ultimate in homebuilt tube benders.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218

well im not sure you could call that a home built unit. Not sure how many people have lathes, waterjets ect ect in there garages :>

Nice project though.