HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Resigned myself to this whole process today, and moved the LS1 back onto a furniture dolly, then the 383 onto the engine stand.  I then got to the task of finishing cleaning the heads/rockers/pushrods/hardware.  I then installed the heads and torqued them to spec, and installed the pushrods and rockers.  They still need to be adjusted, but atleast I'm getting there.  I suspect the motor will be completely done by the end of the coming weekend.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly
  • Like 1

Got the top end buttoned up today on the motor.  I can't believe I haven't had a parts washer until now.  What a difference it makes in getting parts, well, CLEAN!!!

I also got the headers in from JNJDragracing today.  John and Jerry did a nice job on these.  Only issue I will need to overcome is the passenger side issue clearing my oil pan.  I can't imagine these hooker longtubes won't make a bunch more power than the block huggers I was using.

Really close to getting this pig back in my pride and joy, gang.

Mike

Fruits of my labor yesterday.  I don't have a shot of jnjdragracing's headers on just yet, but plan to work to resolve the passenger side pan clearance.  Otherwise the headers look like a good solution to the swap.

Not sure how much I'll get done today... We'll have to see how it plays out.  So as of right now the total rebuild ran me $1250 for the shortblock R&R/re-balance/materials.  I have another $130 in gaskets and materials for the upper half rebuild, and I've got $320 into the headers I got from Jerry and John.  I expect when it's all said and done I may have a total of $2K in the winter overhaul.

LongblockComplete.jpgLongblockRebuilt.jpg

I'll get pics out over the next day or two, but I've cut down the kick-out on the passenger side of the oil pan and think I have a nice solution for clearing the header on that side.  I'm actually using the existing metal of the pan to fold up and create the wall and top of the pan.  I'll still need to drill and weld a bung in for the drain, but it's looking good.  Only unknown is getting it to seal up aittight and be leak proof.  At this rate, I'll have the motor back in the car by Christmas.

Mike, I think you're gonna have to also massage the drivers side. I couldn't get mine to fit when the motor is in the setback position.

Joe

Joe there's no kickout on the Driver's side on my pan.  It's just a passenger side kick out.

Mike

Mike:

Is there a part number for the hooker headers?  From the photo the steering shaft should go through inboard the number 1 cylinder exhaust primary and outboard the number 3 primary.  Would be interesting to know the hooker part number to see if they are still available from hooker.

Merry Xmas everyone!

RSICARD, I bought them used from jnjdragracing.  I'll take a look and see if the units have partnumbers posted.  Tedder and Rags seem to think I'm gonna have interference, but this partucular setup doesn't hang low like my S&S did and they seem to hug the motor  very closely.  The  number 1 branch actually separares from the rest of the header assembly so you can install it after.  I'm not sure where the interference will come into play, but as soon as I have my oil pan issue resolved, we're going to find out what the hell they're talking about.  Really have high hopes for these headers.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Motor is going back in tomorrow.  Got a really nice cheater oilpan that fits well with the existing pickup.  Pan holds 6 quarts *(I measured it) and has a windage tray and trap doors.  It's 7 inches deep and has ZERO kickout.  This should be THE pan for the V8 swap for zero headache fitment.  I'll sacrefice the extra half quart that the Champ and Canton pan provide to avoid that kickout.

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

I also took some pics of the exhaust/headers.. I am not sure that I will or wont' have an issue with header clearance.  We'll find out soon enough.

IMG_5665.jpg

Took an hour this afternoon and dropped the trans.  Not sure what's going on with the clutch action.  Going to have to remove the bellhousing to get to the clutch/pressure plate and re-inspect everything.  Something is amiss.

Get to it tomorrow.

Mike

Trans is back in.  This was a waste of time and I should have gone with my instinct on in Saturday and checked the hydraulic system first.  The slave is hydrolocked.  I disconnected it and had it hanging from the braided line and my kid stepped on the pedal... like pressing against a wall... So all this was a waste of time... I'll bleed the clutch this week, get everything back together and see what's what with the exhaust system by the coming weekend.

Mike

I welded up the header flanges to the downpipes today, bolted up the trans brace, the driveshaft, and the trans mount.  Also got to the shifter and installed it.  Maybe I'll get to the wiring of the starter and the engine bay tomorrow evening. 

Mike

Made fairly significant progress this evening working on the Zcar.  I got the oil system completely cleaned, reinstalled the cooler, lines, and filter bases.  I also connected the fuel injection harness back up, connected the grounds for the chassis and EFI, the starter wiring, and tightened up the driveshaft.  I am going to have to remove the motor mounts in order to install the headers... WONDERFUL!!

I "might" have the motor ready to start by the end of the weekend.

Mike