HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Soooo I'm pretty burned out at the "customer" site, so tomorrow I'm taking a snow day. I have to do a meeting up north in the AM and then I'm going to get the electricals in a state of "power up" mode. hopefully with minimal fanfare.

Hope this weekend goes smoothly...

Mike

Soooo I'm pretty burned out at the "customer" site, so tomorrow I'm taking a snow day. I have to do a meeting up north in the AM and then I'm going to get the electricals in a state of "power up" mode. hopefully with minimal fanfare.

Hope this weekend goes smoothly...

Mike

So yesterday I managed to fix the oil line issues I was having, re-routed a new line through the firewall to the accusump, and removed the passenger side seat and harness for good. Also got the dash in the car with all connections connected. This morning I'm going to troubleshoot all circuits one at a time to make sure we have power to everything. Once that is done I'll go ahead and start programming the touch screen and making a love connection between it and the XFI.

Hope to have this car "running" by the end of the weekend. After that I need to do the mustache bar bushings and the exhaust header sorting... I don't anticipate making the VIR event at the end of the month at this point. Going to have to find another local Summit Point day for another shakedown run.

Mike

Well so far this morning is turning out "pretty well"...

1FE95AE7-58D1-4820-8586-F9A97419BC55-1080-000000DF08BDB288.jpg

62918D94-DAE4-462A-B448-62363A112756-1080-000000DEF1E7CB8D.jpg

59D028C3-14DA-44A2-9E98-BA8FC424520D-1080-000000DF201FD855.jpg

481CCC96-A985-42F6-904A-F2393865A4EC-960-000000D1837F9AC8.jpg

She started up on the first hit of the starter button and everything seems to be working, except I have two lights on the switchpanel that are energized even when the toggles are off... So there's a ground issue in that panel I need to check. I also need to program all the sensors and make a love connection between the XFI and the dash so the dash reads all the same data the XFI is reading.

Getting there... Atleast now I can move the thing under its own power again!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Pete, The bushings were stock. Completely failed. So I installed new bushings, but ended up getting some of the materail in my eye as I was cutting down the bushings for the driveline angle. Hoping I flushed it out...and yes I had on safety goggles...

Mike

"Most" of the connectivity issues with the XFI and the Dash are worked out. Need to sort out the datalogging arming as well as the analog gage settings for the oil temp and oil pressure. Also have an issue with the accusump not refilling... Also still have header gasket issues... Burned through the passenger site will revving the motor to 6500 rpms. Pretty sure I did NOT hurt the motor back when I was at Summit Point. Motor is running way to strong.

Mike

I'm so stoked... Got the dash working this evening. I have proper monitoring for RPM, oil pressure, coolant temp, and I need to work out the oil temps and the data logging.

Sort list of things left to do before the next event...

Header leaking issues (still)

Sort out why my accusump isn't working now

Sort out the switches on the dash (two have lights coming on when they are off)

Sort the oil temp sender

Sort the data logger

Mike

Pulled the dash back out to wire data-logger switches, and install my one-touch video camera button/light combo, and to rewire the oil temp sensor to the 1000 ohm channel on the logger. Still having issues getting that to work with the Autometer sender, but I'm sure it'll come together... I need to setup the accusump air pressure, and then I need to resolve the header issue. Then... I'm Done?

Until I install the fire system and coolsuit box. I'm going to take a few days off though. The wife has been complaining about "you being in that garage every evening and on weekends!" :rolleyes:

Mike

well I lied... Pepboys called while I was out with the wife for a sunday drive, and after I got back home, I took off to pick up a wire connector. I now have a very functional working oil temp readout on the display. For some reason the FAST D200 dash doesn't like the autometer sender gauge, so I swapped to the GM oem coolant temp sensor I had laying around. Works great!

Mike

Good looking progress. Bring that beast down here and lets sort her out on the track. Come on.........

Check my thread as I am starting the aero package this week. Ive got some real good guys that know their stuff, so I'm lookin for big results.

Matt

ps Do you know where I can get a Lexan front windshield? My windshield broke this last race and I'm gonna have to replace it anyway. I know about reinforcement bars and all, I just dont know of a sorce for the plastic.

Edited by cobramatt

I will, I Promiss. My goal is is to get through a full event close to home before I head out of region.

That said, I am watching your progress on the aero stuff... I am hoping we can hook up in October or November at Road Atlanta. Heck I may just come down on a Friday and crash your party for a weekend... I am a sponge wanting to learn from you and your guys...

Mike

I will, I Promiss. My goal is is to get through a full event close to home before I head out of region.

That said, I am watching your progress on the aero stuff... I am hoping we can hook up in October or November at Road Atlanta. Heck I may just come down on a Friday and crash your party for a weekend... I am a sponge wanting to learn from you and your guys...

Mike

Here's the schedule so get on board: Almost every other week till mid December. Come down for the Z Nationals at Barber. There will be 700 Z cars at the show on Sat in Carrollton Ga. at Z1 Motorsports. Then off to Barber for Sunday track day all day. The end of the season at Road Atlanta Santas Run where we collect toys for kids is always a big event. The track is cool and fast then as well. Let me know of any track days at VIR between now and then and maybe I can come up there. When you come here you have a place to stay no worries.

Sept 1 AMP Member BBQ and race w/ nasa vintage guys (practice) "aero shakedown"

Sept 15 AMP Member BBQ and race (practice) More aero shakedown

Oct 6-7 Barber Z NATIONALS

Oct 20-21 AMP NASA SE race

Nov 9-11 CMP NASA SE race

Nov 30-Dec 2 Road Atlanta NASA SE race

and as far as coming here to learn something from me on Aero.............you and I can listen to the experts and learn together. I just drive and give feedback as to what works and what doesn't. The only thing you will learn from me is that my secret is to surround myself with people who are a lot smarter than I am.

Matt

8/29/12 UPDATE:

Check my thread for new Aero pics......

Edited by cobramatt

I needed to do something with the space where the passenger seat was, so I got some diamond plate aluminum and covered up the space.

61C6315B-52F2-4C1C-A3F8-E2C56D52699D-552-0000004575EA42A9.jpg

You'll notice that I also went back to the Braille Battery after the wiring overhaul. I hope that with the circuits down to 7 total, and the alternator up to 140AMPS worth of keeping up, that it'll do the job more effectively. I'll take both batteries to the track with me just to be on the safe side. I also am thinking of moving the battery to the front passenger footwell to place the weight better. I'm rear biased right now.

79A8CB91-3EC2-4576-857D-5D497DC2E3FA-552-000000456FBF1D4E.jpg

And I also mounted the Traqmate back on the suction mount so I can get a better angle from the driver's seat...

FB88BD5F-5594-45B5-84C7-8C8AA0A2820E-552-0000004599DDF0B0.jpg

1BB35F3F-8D4D-46FC-AC98-3D3E00197144-552-000000458D6E3DCA.jpg

The wires hanging around the steering column are for connection to the ecu and will be properly stowed when not in use. It's all coming coming together. I may pull the headers and exhaust this weekend and "fix" my collector leak problem with a permanent solution.

Mike

I needed to do something with the space where the passenger seat was, so I got some diamond plate aluminum and covered up the space.

61C6315B-52F2-4C1C-A3F8-E2C56D52699D-552-0000004575EA42A9.jpg

You'll notice that I also went back to the Braille Battery after the wiring overhaul. I hope that with the circuits down to 7 total, and the alternator up to 140AMPS worth of keeping up, that it'll do the job more effectively. I'll take both batteries to the track with me just to be on the safe side. I also am thinking of moving the battery to the front passenger footwell to place the weight better. I'm rear biased right now.

79A8CB91-3EC2-4576-857D-5D497DC2E3FA-552-000000456FBF1D4E.jpg

And I also mounted the Traqmate back on the suction mount so I can get a better angle from the driver's seat...

FB88BD5F-5594-45B5-84C7-8C8AA0A2820E-552-0000004599DDF0B0.jpg

1BB35F3F-8D4D-46FC-AC98-3D3E00197144-552-000000458D6E3DCA.jpg

The wires hanging around the steering column are for connection to the ecu and will be properly stowed when not in use. It's all coming coming together. I may pull the headers and exhaust this weekend and "fix" my collector leak problem with a permanent solution.

Mike

I moved the battery to the passenger footbox. I need all the craking amps I can get and I am not about to stick with that liitle Braille POS when it gets cold and you have a little spin and it stalls. Thats the time I will have all 1000 cranking amps from the optima working to turn over the monster under the hood. I cant risk it for a few pounds. I also used to put my cool suit cooler box in the passenger floor until I re installed the passenger seat. I've removed the passenger seat when I went to the track for an event and it takes, seriously an hour, to get it out and even longer to get it back in. I'm just too lazy. I'll leave it in all the time for now and I balanced the car with it in so I guess its there to stay. If I start competeing for anything serious maybe I'll take it out. I'm actually having a real good time giving joyrides at the track. Schedule has changed a little down here. The NASA event at AMP has been cancelled. I have also signed up to run at Barber in the Chin Event in a few weeks. Here's the big news......... Z Nationals at Barber Motorsports Park at the end of the month, where everyone on this forum should be at, they are putting a professional run group together. I guess they have me confused with someone else as they have asked me to be a part of it in my car. Nissan Motors will be bringing the 370Z's from the Contenental Tire Challenge, The 300z IMSA cars will be there, they are also bringing the IMSA GTP car and running it on the track, thats my all time favorite and fastest Z of all time. That car sits in a private collection museum all year. I will have every Smarty cam / Go Pro etc... I can get my hands on running when that goes down. It might be my ultimate day at the track. Me, My Car, and a bunch of famous Z cars all at Barber Motorsports Park. I'm dreaming......

You could always come and bring your car.

Matt

Send me the link to the Zcar event and the Barber track day...

Mike

http://www.znationals.com/

I am actually going to Barber on the 21st and 22nd with Chin Motorsports. Then the Z nationals two weeks after that. The car show on Saturday at Z1 is truely awesome. There will be 800 Z cars in one place. Not as many 240's as id like to see but still fun. I will be headed out to Alabama after the show and spend the night in Birmingham.

Matt