HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Making decent progress on the wiring, but it is slow going for sure. Soldered in three dedicated circuits from the rear of the car for the brake lights, the fuel sender and the fuel pump. I have the auxilery 4 circuit fuse block preped and ready to mount. I have the dedicated ground block ready to instal. Now I just need to start logically routing all the wiring. The biggest issue is the sheer volume of wiring associated with the fuel injection system. Crazy. Now the fast Dash adds even more. So... Next up is rewiring the panel in the centerstack so there will be no wires seen. Lets see, 5 toggles with fuses and lights, along with a push start button, so yea that'll be fun for sure...

You young guys reading this and wondering why it always costs to have shops do work like this, pay close attention. I had 4 hours minimum in the 3 circuits from the rear, the fuse panel moch-up, and the grounding block. That's soldering all connections with shrinkrap and fishing the wires from the rear to the front AFTER sorting through the rats nest of wires that was the painless 18 circuit panel. This is time consuming work, for sure.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Couple shots of the dash moch up... You may notice that it doesn't span past the midway point... That's all I'm gonna need.

Basic shape before the bottom bend...

53f7c49e.jpg

After the bottom bend...

75f16377.jpg

Getting there...

Mike

I know its just my opinion but since you are only going across part way, at least consider adding another piece to bring it back at an angle to the right of the wheel. This way all your switch cluster is within reach and no worries after being strapped in. Just a thought since at this point you can go any direction.

Matt

Thanks to Matt, I felt like an idiot in my shop today, in shorts, sweatshirt and HANS device testing out my new dash/electronics plan. I wanted to make sure I could reach everything while strapped in...I don't have everything mounted yet, BUT you are a reative bunch so visualize if you will...

Velcro on a couple spots where I was placing stuff...

e27717b7.jpg

Dash with the center drilled out and the FAST display attached to the dash...

73eee781.jpg

View from the driver's seat...

7f0482cf.jpg

To the left of the fast dash will be the traqmate. To the immediate right of the FAST dash will be the interior master on/off switch. There will be an exterior on/off in the hole where the drivers wiper arm is. To the right of the master on/off will be my switch panel/starter button. To the right of that will be the fuel level gauge.

So no more center stack. I'll place the relays and fuses for the fuel pump/fan and the MSD on a piece of kydex and mount it on the trans tunnel. Should clean up the rest of the wiring nicely!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

The fit and finish on the flare is QUITE acceptable. However, You want to go back to about page 17 to discover the issues with "fitment" on the rears for the wheels, and then go back to about December last year to see how I managed to get the front fitment. It's all in this thread... Just gotta read... Sorry... Keep it here so it's a onestop shop for the story of this build.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Went down and soldered a few more connections this AM... I've got the starter circuit to the dash complete, fan and fuel pump, fuel sender all done. Made all the connections back up for the FAST EFI. Still need to wrap up the 3 wires on the fuel pressure sender, the fuel temp sender, and the tach. All those integrate into the dash.

Very pleased with how this turned out:

416623a7.jpg

ce03c717.jpg

4fb40467.jpg

Mike

Went down and soldered a few more connections this AM... I've got the starter circuit to the dash complete, fan and fuel pump, fuel sender all done. Made all the connections back up for the FAST EFI. Still need to wrap up the 3 wires on the fuel pressure sender, the fuel temp sender, and the tach. All those integrate into the dash.

Very pleased with how this turned out:

416623a7.jpg

ce03c717.jpg

4fb40467.jpg

Mike

I know that was a pain in the ass but now look at it. Great job. I think our dashes look better than stock.

Matt

Thanks for the encouragement Matt!

Won't get much more done this weekend. We took the GT3 down to Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock, NC. And won't be home till sunday.

When I return, I need to make three more connections and instal the new ECV on the accusump, and then start installing the dash. Then the tuning will begin!

Mike

I know that was a pain in the ass but now look at it. Great job. I think our dashes look better than stock.

Matt

Back on track...

Today I was able to pull the accusump, drain and clean it, and then swap in the ECV unit. I've also gotten the wiring sorted for it, the connection between the brake switch and the fuse box, and the brake switch and the wiring from the lights to the brake switch, along with the wiring for the XFi brain,the final lug on the master switch, and cleaned up the shop from about 800 bits of tape, wire trimmings, loom and excess "junk".

Tomorrow I need to pull the wiper cowl and remove the wiper motor, install the external power switch in the wiper arm port, and then wire that all up. Really needed to have an external on/off for safety.

Still need to wrap up a couple more wire connections before re-installing the dash, but it won't be long before I'm starting the hard work of "troubleshooting"! certainly by the weekend!

Mike

I've officially run out of things to Solder... It's a damned good thing, since I've officially run out of solder.

Tomorrow, I'll pull the wiper cowl and remove the wiper motor/assembly/arm and install the exterior kill switch. Then it's down to re-installing the accusump and then the dash.

Mike