HybridZ

my slow, but steady build thread, 80' zx

ZXT_bean

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need a turbo dizzy I can get you one.

i do i do i do!!!! when and where can i come and get it!! dont matter if its from an 81 or from an 82-83. i believe because i already have a l28et i wont have to swap the oil pump drive shaft. if its from an 82-83 im pretty sure it will just be a direct swap correct? either way i need it!! shoot me a pm and we can figure this out!

well i have some recent pics i decided to share with everyone..

DSCN0400.jpg

DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

DSCN0403.jpg

and because i didnt want to drill holes in the side of my frame rails to mount my oil cooler, i found a way to route it to the front. and it will get tons more air that way.

DSCN0405.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

and heres a shot of how close my cooler lines are to my fan shroud.

DSCN0406.jpg

got my new ignitor in today. waiting on a 82+ dizzy so i can replace my broken CAS. then everything should be peachy!

yes i do plan on painting it soon, basically i want to get most of the bugs worked out of the swap before i tear it back down to paint it.

this damn spark issue is kicking my butt!! and now my fuel pump isnt turning on! idk what to do. it sputtered for about 3 seconds only once, now ive got nothing. idk what to do. im losing faith in this car by the second. i am to the point where i will pay someone to come over here and figgure it out for me!

well i have a update for everyone. it still wont start. im starting to get really annoyed. here is what i know.

1. i have a good ignitor.

2. the green light is on inside the ecu (but isnt when cranking, might be an issue)

3. i have power to both my coil, and ignitor, and i belive my ecu is pulsing to the ignitor.

so im at a loss here. i dont know what to do. or where to look. besides going megasquirt, i dont know what to do. but i do have some more pictures for everyone.

DSCN0415.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

and just for some giggles, my lil girl, Chloe.

DSCN0412.jpg

haha

Well, if it's not running now them changing to megasquirt probably won't fix anything. I doubt your ECU is bad, the problem is elsewhere.

What AFM are you using? Has it ever been opened and adjusted? A Turbo AFM set to use NA injectors won't run on Turbo injectors, and vice versa.

What injectors are you running? Stock turbo injectors are brown.

Are all of the sensors plugged in and tested? Most important ones are Head Temp, TPS, AFM, and Dizzy.

Your problem is probably something isn't hooked up, or you've got a bad connection somewhere.

Are you getting spark? Best way to check would be to use a timing light and check the timing while cranking and make sure your timing is close enough. If you've never heard this engine run, there's always the chance the shaft that runs the oil pump and dizzy is off a tooth or so.

Are you getting fuel. This is a hard one to check, but one way would be to use a multimeter on an injector plug under cranking.

I'd try spraying something into the intake to try to help it start. Maybe something in the cold start system isn't working keeping it from wanting to start.

ok well ill go back to basics. i know the motor is good, i drove the parts car around the block with no brakes lol!! im using all the zxt parts, injectors, afm, ecu, i havent put in the turbo fuel pump yet, but im not sure if its going to be needed.

last night i wired in my own fuel pump relay, now i get the 5second prime, and as soon as i touch the key to turn it over, the pump kicks on. still not sure on the amount of psi.

i can hear the injectors pulsing.. or clicking rather.

the green light comes on inside the ecu, does not seem to be there while cranking, as i stated earlier, this might be an issue.

im not sure if my CAS is sending a signal to my ecu so the ecu can send a signal to the ignitor.

i really believe my issue is spark related. is there a way to test the CAS. mine is a 81, so its down by the crank

I'm not sure. I've never dealt with the 81 CAS setup. I know the guy I bought my turbo donor from blames one of his blown motors on the 81 CAS and recommends using the 82-83 setup. But it should run stock psi levels just fine.

I know on the 82-89 ecu if the injectors fire then the cas is sending a signal. I had an 81 system in mine stock but I never ran it I tore it out and swaped in an 84 30zx turbo ecu and now I'm running an 88 turbo with nistune.

tbs

well id imagine it works in the same fashion. the 82-83 dizzy is a direct plug and play swap. im gonna go out to the garage soon, and check to make sure the injectors are pulsing. i know i have fuel pressure. and i never messed with the distributer, so the timing should be spot on. and ill check all my wiring again. im still unsure if i have the ignition harness wired up correctly, like i said i have the 81 harness, so the connector by the ecu is only a 6 pin plug verus the 82-83 harness which is a 8 pin plug. so ill have to go through that once again. ive tried to go though my wiring diagrams, but havent had much luck tracing wires. any one have a pin out of that plug?

• 4 weeks later...