HybridZ

LS1 GTO T56 Shifter Location

Does any one know if the shifter location for a T56 from a 2004 GTO is different than a T56 from a Camaro? If so, what is needed to relocate so it aligns with the hole in the chassis tunnel? Are there any other significant things that I need to do to perform this swap?

Thanks for all the help guys

Does any one know if the shifter location for a T56 from a 2004 GTO is different than a T56 from a Camaro? If so, what is needed to relocate so it aligns with the hole in the chassis tunnel? Are there any other significant things that I need to do to perform this swap?

Finishing up a 2004 GTO/T56 into a 260z . Shifter location is really personal . We used a B&M 45052 (Camaro/Firebird). This is a different shifter position from the GTO and moves the shifter forward a little. The trans hits the old holes nicely with almost no fitting problems to the tunnel.

I'm 99.9% sure the T56's were interchangable between the LSx motors. My '76 280z shifter hole let the transAm T56 slide right in, no modifications at all. It had the stock Hurst shifter and I threw a WS6store short shifter on and its the perfect fit/shift for me and my life likes it too.

The GTO stock shifter uses a short linkage with a plastic cover that will not let it fit the Z correctly. The B+M lets you get rid of the linkage and cover and lets you pick from two different shifter positions. Also makes shifting shorter and tighter.

Mike

the gto shifter places the gearlever further back than the camaro i cut my tunnel to suit but its right back against the ash tray hole so ended up buying after market camaro shifter off ebay was very cheap and nasty didnt like the fit or feel have since bought a hurst shifter off ebay much better quality but found it didnt line up with the gear box so i moved the shifter part 10mm forward on mounting plate works fine now though i reckon for all my mucking around would have been better just buying the bm shifter

mick

• 1 month later...
Possibly, how much?

Don't know if the GTO shifter will a non-GTO trans. I haven't looked closely at the others, but the GTO shifter has a second ball/socket in a depression farther back on the tranny. The B&M does away with that part of the linkage. Anyway, Paul if you want one, you can have mine-I think I have all the parts- for the shipping.

Mike

• Administrators
Don't know if the GTO shifter will a non-GTO trans. I haven't looked closely at the others, but the GTO shifter has a second ball/socket in a depression farther back on the tranny. The B&M does away with that part of the linkage. Anyway, Paul if you want one, you can have mine-I think I have all the parts- for the shipping.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you again for the info. Shipping fee sounds like a good price for a part that may or may not fit the trans I don't have yet. :wink: Having the shifter in hand just may help determine which trans I need get for the LSx Z-32 project...

PM me the shipping charges and I'll PayPal.

• 2 years later...

The easiest way to use an F-body camaro/firebird shifter on a T56 out of a 2005 or 2006 GTO is to remove the entire GTO shifter then swap the "offset lever," a little steel piece that goes on the end of the shifting rod that is under the shifter, down in that rectangular housing that the shifter bolts onto with four bolts. Camaro offset levers are sold by thegearbox.org for $33 bucks plus $6 shipping. The offset lever is held on with a roll pin that you just drive out and drive back in (if you can keep from losing it). The GTO offset lever is longer than the Camaro offset lever. By swapping the offset lever you gain the ability to use any of the Camaro/Firebird shifters that are available: stock, Hurst, B&M, Pro 5.0, MGW and any of the Chinese copies that are out there. I just did this swap and the camaro shifter works great and comes right up thru the center of the 240z shifter hole in the trans tunnel. If you try to use a F-body shifter on a GTO T56 without either swapping the offset lever or modifying the shifter base plate (as described in previous post), it will shift into 2nd, 4th, 6th, but fail to lock into 1st, 3rd, 5th. Modifying the shifter base plate is cheaper, but replacing the offset lever is way easier, and pretty cheap, plus you don't run the risk of trashing your fancy shifter. Mnoel, I was going to use the B&M shifter as you recommended, but my GTO mechanism had been cracked beyond repair by the guy who pulled the motor/trans from the donor car.