HybridZ
Savage42

Throttle cable setup - Lockar & custom bracket

Savage42    21

Hey guys! I finally got around to making a nice setup for my car utilizing part of the stock setup and adapting a clean, simple way to route the cable on my LS6. I was contemplating making a few of the brackets in stainless (this one is aluminum) if there was any interest. The bracket mounts in the same place where the stock pivot bracket attached to the firewall. Let me know what you think.

280Z-06_Pics_292_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_290_Medium_.jpg

280Z-06_Pics_287_Medium_.jpg

Savage42    21
that look good i was thing of doing the same thing. btw can i get better picture of you hood latch ? it looks like you did some thing diffrent?

The hood latch was modified by my brother when he had a SBC 350 with HEI on it, so there was clearance for the distributor. It was removed from the firewall, cut to keep just the top part and then welded "legs" that go down to the firewall. I had the whole assembly plated and it's just bolted to the firewall.

280Z-06_Pics_286_Medium_.jpg

Savage42    21
What do you want for one in stainless?

They would run $25 and include shipping, if there is enough interest. I figure it's a deal, considering a cable bracket like this from Summit is $17 plus shipping, anyway. ;^)

hly-45-229_w.jpg

I may just make one up for myself in stainless and take some pics.

Savage42    21

Yep, should help adapt many setups that want a clean, direct routing of the throttle cable. I know I can get the stainless ones done cost effectively and may have a way to do them in aluminum, as well. I'll let you know on that one. I'm assuming that aluminum will be the preferred material, right? :)

zilvia_gt    10

Yeah, I would like aluminum. So where did you get the other fittings, the cable ends and the fittings to the brackets? Did you adapt the stock ones?

Yep, should help adapt many setups that want a clean, direct routing of the throttle cable. I know I can get the stainless ones done cost effectively and may have a way to do them in aluminum, as well. I'll let you know on that one. I'm assuming that aluminum will be the preferred material, right? :)

Savage42    21
Yeah, I would like aluminum. So where did you get the other fittings, the cable ends and the fittings to the brackets? Did you adapt the stock ones?

The cable & ends are just the Lockar setup. I ground off both stock balls on the pivot bracket and went to a fastener stir to get the rod that goes from the pedal to the pivot bracket, as I didn't have a clean, OEM ball & socket piece.

Savage42    21

Thanks for the compliments guys!! Getting down to the detail stuff I want to do right, as we all know what happens when you get a car running and you "back burner" the small stuff that you'll "get around to later". ;) The custom dash with the Z06 gauge cluster and center console will be unique, for sure.

Well, it looks like there are a few people interested in this piece. The cost effective way is to do them in stainless and I think I'll have half a dozen made up, since I've got a few of you wanting them. Probably have them done sometime near the end of next week. Stay tuned.

Savage42    21

Hey guys! I'm going to have a half dozen or so brackets made up in stainless, if you are interested. I know it works on the later S30s (ones with the pivot bracket that looks like the one in the pic), but the early 240s have a taller pivot and different swivel bracket. Anyone know for sure when they switched the setup? Maybe just a Series 1 thing?

Savage42    21

Thanks for the info. I'll put you down for one. The answer would be that the tall pivot bracket on the early 240s could be drilled at the spot welds and replaced with the later (shorter) pivot bracket. This custom throttle cable bracket will work on the late '72-78 Z cars with the shorter setup. Here's a visual showing the differences.

The later (shorter) pivot.

280Z-06_Pics_290_Medium_.jpg

The early (tall) pivot.

240Z_LS1_Throttle_Cable_002.jpg

Dave (qwik240, shown in pic above) used a choke cable bracket. The only one I could find for sale are ones like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-45-229/ They sell this generic, mass production unit for $17 and $5 for shipping ($23 total).

My bracket will sell for $25, which includes shipping. I'll make up half a dozen, so let me know if you want one. I'll post an actual thread on these in the Vendors section.

zgeezer    3
They would run $25 and include shipping, if there is enough interest. I figure it's a deal, considering a cable bracket like this from Summit is $17 plus shipping, anyway. ;^)

hly-45-229_w.jpg

I may just make one up for myself in stainless and take some pics.

Put me down for one also. Let me know when and where to send the cash or PayPal.

g

The cable & ends are just the Lockar setup. I ground off both stock balls on the pivot bracket and went to a fastener stir to get the rod that goes from the pedal to the pivot bracket, as I didn't have a clean, OEM ball & socket piece.

Hi Gary, I'm not meaning to be lazy, but is there any way you can provide us the exact part# on that Lockar cable. I have one now on my rb set up, but it's different, and I can't seem to locate the one shown in your image with the clevis (?) type ends. :redface:

Thanks!!

Savage42    21

I bought the Lockar cable from Jegs, but I cut 20 inches out of the 48" cable ($61.99), so you can save $12 by going with the 36" version ($49.99). It has the clevis on one end and then the cylinder end for the throttle body that is slipped on the cable and fastened down with the allen wrench.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/TC-1000TPV/10002/-1

I bought the Lockar cable from Jegs, but I cut 20 inches out of the 48" cable ($61.99), so you can save $12 by going with the 36" version ($49.99). It has the clevis on one end and then the cylinder end for the throttle body that is slipped on the cable and fastened down with the allen wrench.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/TC-1000TPV/10002/-1

Perfect!! Thank You :cheers: