HybridZ
MAG58

Mercedes Benz M104 engine for the 240Z

MAG58    13
Mag58;

I noticed the "hammer in hand". Is that a Mercedes tool of some sort?

Heh, if it was a Mercedes Special Tool, it wouldn't be carried in hand, it would be placed in a highly guarded padded vault with temperature and humidity control as it MOST LIKELY cost more than the house it calls home.

That's my father with his favorite ball-joint extraction tool.

Daeron    11
No. The Mercedes Benz 280 Rods. They're 150mm (5.906in) long and a Honda K24 90mm overbore pistons with a compression height of 1.14in.

I may still stroke it, it all depends on the cost of each motor.

okay, sooo... block height? rod big end bore/wrist pin bore/crank journal thickness? We can only Help Hybridize if you give us specs :)

MAG58    13

Deck Height: 219.675mm

Origional CR (280CE) 33.275mm

Wrist Pin Dia: 22mm

Crank Journal Diameter: 48mm (same as 4G63, a bunch of hawn-ders, etc.)

Crank Journal Width (320&280): 24mm

Crank Journal Width (350SDL): 28mm

* Rod Width at wrist pin same as crank journal width

Connecting Rod Length:

280 M104: 149mm

320 M104: 144mm

Strokes:

280: 73.4mm

320: 84mm

350SDL: 92.4mm

I think that's all right...

Daeron    11

SR20, VG30 and VQ series apparently share the 22mm wrist pin, but nissan motors apparently seem to use crank diameters of 51 or 53 mm. I'm basing these conclusions TOTALLY on the info provided at the ozdat calculator I linked to earlier in this thread.

Incidentally, I missed the 22mm wrist pin on the VG earlier when I had suggested it be paired with an L24 rod; L-series use 21mm wrist pins.

There seems to be a VG30DETT piston at 31.75mm pin height and 89mm bore. If you can find a rod that is just a hair under 141mm long you get to zero deck height with the 94mm stroke crank. (assuming this head has a ~42cc combustion chamber and flat-top piston, this produces 3.5 liters at THIRTEEN TO ONE COMPRESSION!!!! HOOOOHOOOOO!!!)

Guest lulu   
Guest lulu

Wouldnt an acura k20a connecting rod work with slight big end work, it measures 139mm , on a 48 crank journal

MAG58    13

That would make for a R/S ratio substantially less than 1.5 which is already too short. Would make piston selection easy though piston accelerations would be through the roof and dwell at TDC and BDC would be nonexistent.

MAG58    13

Yep. Mercedes CLK series 6 speed manual, 16v flywheel and spec clutch.

The 6 speed is a nice, tight Getrag unit that, iirc, is used in many a bimmer as well.

Though I'm quite sure I'm going back to the 3.2 displacement. Stock motor at 18psi netted 499rwhp @6500. That's without major computer tuning, basically a 'rough' tune which is plenty of go to hospitalize me sufficiently quickly.

PanzerAce    15
NEED UPDATES! haha this thread is like crack, you just keep coming back! Love the swap and now i am thinking about maybe going down this route in the future.

I don't think he has any updates. Last word I got was he's (and I, for that matter) were looking for someone that'll do wild enough cams.

MAG58    13
Mag, I'll be finding out about cams and those two trans you were looking for tomorrow. Got the day off work (thank god), so I should be able to get a fair bit done.

Also, no reply from rebello yet :/

Thanks a ton PA, you've really got some good MB connections that have been a huge help in these shenanigans. :mrgreen:

What about a regrind? They can cut you almost anything.

We're working on that. I'd like to find a cam guy that kinda sorta knows his way around the motor maybe a little bit.

kiwi303    29

We're working on that. I'd like to find a cam guy that kinda sorta knows his way around the motor maybe a little bit.

Spechin Deutsch?

try googling benz cams with google filters set to german domains only.... Surely there will be a german tuner crowd around over there?

MAG58    13

Ja, Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch, und ich habe ein paar deutsche Unternehmen untersucht.

However, the cost of the cams (the highest duration I've seen is 268 with about .385 lift) would be more than the rest of my project alone! I'm looking for some options stateside though.

letitsnow    14

Give delta cams a call, they might not have much experience with the m104(maybe they do, I don't know, just guessing), but a cam is pretty much a cam no matter what engine it's in, they all have similar design requirements(with respect to reliability). As for specs, you'd have to ask them what they can do and compare to what you want.

PanzerAce    15

Hey, no problem Mag. I figure since you turned me towards these motors with that L head thread, the least I can do is tap into the knowledge base that's a 10 minute drive down the road.

The trans stuff he'll be able to help out with no sweat, less sure about the cam stuff, but he'll know where to start.

Oh, and LIS, the problem that Mag and I have found is that while there are a number of cams for this engine, they are all geared toward people with MBs...which means they won't accept something that barely idles :P

letitsnow    14

Oh, and LIS, the problem that Mag and I have found is that while there are a number of cams for this engine, they are all geared toward people with MBs...which means they won't accept something that barely idles :P

Didn't think about that problem, I just kinda figured german car guys were completely nuts and considered a 2000rpm lumpy idle acceptable.

One of these engines is the contingency plan if I nuke both of my L series, probably not for a few years.