HybridZ

How to do a RHD Conversion

280zjoel

Hey I was workin on my project the other day. I took a decent look and the alternator isnt even going to be close to clearing the steering shaft. The motor sits low with the mckinney member.

I think I am going to mount the alternator on the other side using a FWD sr20 alternator. Let me know what you do for making a bracket I dont really have any good ideas at the moment.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey I was workin on my project the other day. I took a decent look and the alternator isnt even going to be close to clearing the steering shaft. The motor sits low with the mckinney member.

I think I am going to mount the alternator on the other side using a FWD sr20 alternator. Let me know what you do for making a bracket I dont really have any good ideas at the moment.

Im pretty much going to do the same thing. Mounting it on the other side will help fix the steering rack issue. for the bracket im not sure just yet, I might just buy some flat stock iron and weld it together and bolt on the alternator.

Hey everyone, not much going on. Im still at the bodywork of the engine bay stage (im waiting patiently for my brother to do the body work:cry:) but I did manage to get some work done on my RHD Dashboard.

I followed the instruction on how to restore an s30 dash from classic z cars website, except for the fact that I decided to fiberglass the whole dash. Here is the link for the wright up.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

The only reason that I ended up fiberglassing over the dash, is that it has a ton of cracks all over and has started to turn brittle. Almost anywhere I press on the dash, ends up cracking.

Picture4456.jpg?t=1261541929

Picture4455.jpg?t=1261542037

Here is the dash after I V-notched the big cracks and filled em with some "great stuff"

Picture4459.jpg?t=1261542084

Picture4458.jpg?t=1261542112

Picture4457.jpg?t=1261542137

Here some pics of the fiberglass cloth I laid down on the dash, I hope it turns out good:o.

I forgot to post some pics of the dash when I V-notched the cracks, so here goes:

1218091822.jpg?t=1261723199

1218091822a.jpg?t=1261723234

Im hoping to do some more fiber glassing this weekend and ill be sure to post more pics as I progress. *sigh* I hate how itchy fiberglass makes you. Lol I looked goofy when I laid down the resin because I ended up wrapping paper around my arms and taping em down lol. But hey, it did the job.:mrgreen:

Got some more work done today. Laid down some more fiber glass cloth over the bottom section of the dash, still not done with the glassing but im that much more closer. Here are some pics after about an hour and a half of sanding and scuffing up of the bottom portion of the dash.

Picture4460.jpg?t=1262135993

Picture4461.jpg?t=1262136031

Picture4462.jpg?t=1262136069

Here are some pics of after I laid down the cloth, before I set the top layer of cloth with resin, I did lay some cloth down in the vent holes so that they are covered well. Once it dries better I will cut the holes out so they look clean.

Picture4463.jpg?t=1262136180

Picture4464.jpg?t=1262136336

Picture4465.jpg?t=1262136383

Picture4466.jpg?t=1262136416

Anyhow there ya go. I wish I had more time to work on it. Being unemployed means I got to do quite a few side jobs just to keep up with my bills, so this stuff gets put off to the side quite a bit. Also as an update on the bodywork on the engine bay: POR15 sucks for bodywork, on their site it mentions you can add filler to por15 once its dry to the touch, which of course i did, as well as scuff it up with some 80grit. But, it ends up chipping off if i tap it with a hammer, so now I have to grind down every spot to the metal that I have to body work.

Anyhow there ya go. I wish I had more time to work on it. Being unemployed means I got to do quite a few side jobs just to keep up with my bills, so this stuff gets put off to the side quite a bit.

For not having much time I would say you are progressing pretty darn good! Everything looks great!

As for unemployed, I think this project will be a great addition to your resume.

lol thanks Eric, well got some more work done today.

Picture4467.jpg?t=1262237448

Here is a pic to show the difference of the LHD and RHD gas pedals. Notice that the RHD pedal is a lot longer and has a funky shape to it. Well what I had to do was cut the little bracket off of the LHD one since it was made to work with a 240sx throttle cable and weld it on the RHD pedal.

Picture4469.jpg?t=1262237896

So I cut the pivot ball off of the pedal and ended up welding the piece off of the LHD pedal.

Picture4470.jpg?t=1262238047

Purdy weld :) Why cant all my welds look like that???

Picture4474.jpg?t=1262238127

Picture4475.jpg?t=1262238214

And there you go. All ready to be installed. All I had to do after this was just drill 2 holes on the firewall and I was good to go.

Picture4476.jpg?t=1262238248

And thats what it looks like bolted on. Pretty simple looking. BTW gotta love that body work:fmad: dont worry, its not that thick just a light layer across to fill in the low spots.

Picture4478.jpg?t=1262238702

Picture4479.jpg?t=1262238729

Also I finally got my brother to do some more body work so, we are getting pretty close to painting the engine bay.

OK What do you guys (and girls) think? Should I paint the engine bay satin black or glossy Red(color im going to paint the car)? Im stuck, I would love red but I think it will show all the imperfections, so its kind of in the air right now.:hs:

Paint the engine bay white, that way it stays clean! haha, yea right, out of those 2 I would go with the black. I am still thinking that some sort of rubberized bed liner material that can handle the heat would work the best. But you would have to make sure it gets applied properly.

Hey I was wondering if you could measure the 240sx throttle cable. Its total length from the firewall on.

Only wondering because I dont want to get to long of a cable

I got 32inches from the firewall to the end of the cable. The one I am using on my z either came from a RHD 240sx or a single cam 240sx. My brother had it laying around, so he gave it to me, seems to be just right for the conversion.