HybridZ

I now have a MOMO steering wheel....

So I was perusing a salvage yard near my house and came up on a 1974 (approx.) BMW 533e with a real wood MOMO steering wheel. It had a few stress cracks but nothing which prohibited purchase. I pulled the wheel, the hub and horn button all for a cost of $13.00. I had visions of putting the item up for sale and making some money. Which I did (put it up for sale that is). No sales even through 2 price reductions.

So the thing was sitting in the box for a week and I pulled it out because I just finally reached the opinion that this wheel is too cool to sell, it's going on my 280z. On my Z I had a Grant fake carbon fiber wheel with it's 2 piece rickety hub design. In my garage I had an old 240z steering wheel. After a flash of inspiration I decided to measure the holes on the BMW MOMO hub and the stock 240z hub...darned if they were not the same diameter. Then it was on to a manual spline count...holy crap both hubs have 36 splines! This is going to work!

I pulled the Grant steering wheel and hub off my car and put the BMW MOMO hub on...yep it fit as OEM. The MOMO hub just needed about an inch of material removed from the rear to slide on all the way for the steering column nut to secure. It's a solid one piece hub and the real wood looks awesome in my ZCAR. Plus I sold the Grant fake carbon fiber steering wheel for way more than $13.00...

Edited by dhp123166

Sounds alot like the 70's "personal" wood steering wheel I found in the JY with hub and the Datsun horn button.

Its times like these that makes it fun finding rarish things in the JY.

I LOVE walking up on vehicles in salvage yards.

Here are those pictures by the way...